Stamford Infirmary

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Infirmary
Topic Originator: Phil Snowden
Post Date September 26, 2010 @ 1:57 PM
 Stamford Infirmary
 Stamford Infirmary/reopen wards
 RE: Stamford Infirmary
 Stamford Infirmary/oh, its a baby!
 Stamford Infirmary/Morrison's?
 Stamford Infirmary/Greyfriars gate
 Infirmary/mssge Phil Snowden
 Stamford Infirmary
 Stamford Infirmary
 Stamford Infirmary/mssge for Mike
 Infirmary/mssge for Alan
 Stamford Infirmary/'White Friars'
 Stamford Infirmary/mssge for Linda
  Stamford Infirmary

Phil Snowden
September 26, 2010 @ 1:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Interesting pencil drawing (circa 1840) of Stamford Infirmary.  Any comments welcome.

Stamford Infirmary circa 1840 -pencil drawing

To see this photo as large as possible double click on photo then click on
Actions top left of photo and then choose Slideshow.To "hold" a particular photo then click on 2 bars bottom left

Hello Kate, Just had a look in one of my old Stamford books at Speeds map of about 1620 and it seems that the old remains might have been part of the White Friars. The Uffington road looks to have been behind the fence.I bought the drawing on e.bay a couple of years ago because it looked so interesting. Yours Phil

John Tyers
September 26, 2010 @ 4:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Very well executed.  I heard a rumour yesterday that due to rationalisation within the local health authority, the wards at Stamford Hospital are to reopen.  Would be excellent news but seems doubtful to me in view of impending government cuts.

Karen Faulkner Robus
October 1, 2010 @ 10:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was born there!
Kate: Hi Karen.  The photo shows the scene from about 1620 - so its lasted well then!

betty
October 3, 2010 @ 6:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can remember the day you were born Karen it was the most exciting time for your Aunty Barbara and me as we still very innocent as to where babies exactly came from.

Patrick
October 3, 2010 @ 6:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Is the view from the old quarry by Morrison`s roundabout? It looks like St.Michael`s Church tower in the distance.

syd
October 7, 2010 @ 6:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think that it is the old Greyfriars gate entrance at the junction of Ryhall Road and Uffington Road

Linda Ball
July 27, 2011 @ 8:24 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just saw the drawing of the Stamford Infirmary.  Is the drawing signed?  I am doing some research into the sites of the Greyfriars and the Whitefriars, as there is confusion over the sites.  The Infirmary site is traditionally thought to be that of the Whitefriars.
Historians in the 1970s challenged that view and although their evidence is not conclusive, the current Nat Monument Records say the infirmary gateway is the entrance to the Grey Friary.  I would be interested if you have any other finds/info. I am going back to old records and archives in my researches. I am the grand daughter of Frank Carter who lived at Grey Friars, opposite the gateway.

phil
July 27, 2011 @ 12:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Linda The drawing has only been signed at the bottom in pencil Stamford
Infirmary and J G but the initals  are difficult to see.I have a map of 1600 by J. Speed on this site's photostream which clearly says your Grandfathers house is on Grey Friary land and the Hospital on White Friary land,sorry I can't help any more.Wasn't Edward the Black Prince's wife originally buried on your Grandfathers Land?
Regards Phil..

mike laughton
July 30, 2011 @ 11:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil,
Are you the Philip Snowden who used to live on the corner of Ryhall Road/Rutland Road - Richard (Colonel's) brother? If so we were all at School and St John cadets together.
I'm trying to work out what angle the drawing was made from. I think it is probably the Priory Road area, somewhere near the priory itself. I can't work out what the stonework constructions in the foreground are. They look a bit like early industrial workings such as lime kilns or something. I am quite familiar with many of the old drawings and paintings of Stamford but don't recall seeing this one before.

phil
July 30, 2011 @ 5:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mike,Yes, I am the Colonels brother.Must thank you for putting the picture of the school play on,forgoten all about that!The picture of the Infirmary I put on is a drawing.I would like to think(being a romantic)that the ruins are part of the old White Friars and were probably somewhere between Van Geest and the lime kilms but still infirmary side of Uffington Road.When thinking about school and my school mates I often think of poor old Harry Grey B----- who seemed to take the blame for most things,but always with a smile and chuckle,and wondered what happened to him?Nice to be in touch with you again.Phil

Alan Tutt
August 27, 2011 @ 4:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi, I met Linda Ball while working at Stamford Museum - I have some info for her re the friary confusion but have mislaid her contact details. Can I have her email or can you give her mine. She is on the thread re the infirmary picture

cheers

Alan
Hi Alan.  I have forwarded your email address to Linda today.

Linda Ball
August 28, 2011 @ 3:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Phil, the map you have is a later version of Speed's map shown in the front of Harrod's 'The Antiquities of Stamford and St Martins', published in Stamford in 1785, and altered by the author.  It is consistent with the original 1600s version of Speed, except Speed does not label the Grey Friary site in St Paul's Street, but places a letter N close to the 'White Friary' gateway.  Speed's map also appears in Peck's Annals (1727).  Historians of the 1970s suggest that all histories from the 1700s onwards were incorrect in assuming the Whitefriars site was on the present Infirmary site, and that it is the site of the Grey Friars.  Yet, they do not produce conclusive evidence and I am tracing the leases and tenancies for both sites to see how the muddle came about and to try to unravel it all. I have tracked down someone with the title deeds for the Grey Friars site, and hope this might yield something.  Your drawing of the 'White Friars' gateway is wonderful, and I may ask if I can have your permission to use this in a short report at a later date when I have found out more.   All the best, Linda

phil
August 29, 2011 @ 7:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Linda,That's fine to use the picture and I wish you luck in your quest.I have copies of Harrod and Peck which are in quite good nick considering their age.Regards Phil.

John Hartley
November 23, 2011 @ 8:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The evidence for the two sites is set out clearly in our 1974 book - The Religious Foundations of Medieval Stamford - and heavily plumps for the Infirmary/Hospital site as actually the Grey Friary .....  Until the Burghley archives are fully available it will be very difficult to trace the detailed descriptions of the relevant sites ....