Damon's Green Grocers

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Damon's Green Grocers
Topic Originator: Dan Entwisle
Post Date September 27, 2010 @ 11:13 AM
 Damon's Green Grocers
 Damon's Green Grocers
  Damon's Greengrocers
 RE: Damon's Green Grocers
 Damon's Green Grocers/Banjo
 Damon's/adverts for Central
 Damon's/Henry Hall's bacon slicer
 Damon's Green Grocers/port or starboard
 Damon Taylor/helped with icecream
 RE: Damon's Green Grocers

Dan Entwisle
September 27, 2010 @ 11:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Following on from the shopping theme.  Who remembers Damon?  He was a cheerful geezer who ran a fruit shop at the junction of Rec Road and New Cross Road.

It was a wooden building if I recall. Now gone I see.

I'm going back to 1979-1982 when I lived in Stamford breifly.

He had an old Transit van and a red 1960s Mercedes-Benz car.

Anyone remember him?  Or the shop?  What happened to him>

Dan

John Tyers
September 28, 2010 @ 8:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Damon was one of my fellow "interns" when we started in Class One at St John's School in 1939.  Always an affable lad!

Roger Partridge
September 30, 2010 @ 9:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember there was a brick and tile shop on the corner for many years. The building is still there but has been converted to residential and there has been a lot of recent residential development in the immediate vicinity.

Chris
October 1, 2010 @ 7:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was a small child, early 1940's 'Damon's' shop was operated by (I don't know if he owned it) Mr Hall, everyone called him Henry, but I think that may have been a nickname. It was a good general grocery store with a meat counter and some green grocery.
One vivid memory, while standing in Henry's shop, was of an old lady coming in (She wasn't that old, but seemed so to me) long  dress, hair completely dishevelled, Mum whispered to me "Don't stare, that is Miss Martin" Mum said she was a very clever person, who had been let down badly in her life and it had affected her mind, Does Anyone know what happened to Miss Martin? I think she eventually went into St George's Home.
Anyone remember the 'Cat Lady'? Rec Hill area, used to get the left over fish from fish & chip shops and feed it to the stray cats? I can see her now, little old lady, long black coat and black hat, walking across the road towards the Rec, followed by a host of mewing cats.

Joan
October 1, 2010 @ 7:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Chris, Geoff reckons he was called Banjo Hall.
Damon died 2-3 years ago.  

Miss Martin (we think) lived in New Cross Road, Yes, we remember the "cat lady" must have loved cats!!!!!
Kate:  Then there was Grace Lee - also a cat feeder.  She used to appear with a newswrapped food parcel each evening in the vicinity of Exeter Court.  The cats would assemble in anticipation of their supper.

syd
October 1, 2010 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mr. Hall was known as Banjo Hall, whether he played the banjo I know not, but as I remember he seemed a nice man. To the right of his store there were huge advertising hoardings, always had up to date adverts of the latest Central films.

Patrick
October 1, 2010 @ 7:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We are dredging up the past! Was it Miss Smith who lived at the bottom of Rec Hill and went round every day feeding the cats.This must have been in the 1930s and 40s. I also remember Miss Martin. I think she lived in the bottom end of Queen Street and I expect you are right, she finished up in St.George`s. I remember Henry Hall very clearly. He built the shop at the top of Rec Hill after he left the Co-Op where he was Butchery Manager. His shop was popular and successful. Every Tuesday he used to make hot faggots - does anyone else remember these ? On his counter he had a bacon slicing machine which could be adjusted from 1 to 10 to alter the thickness of the rashers. Once, aged about 9, I was sent to buy some rashers. I said to him `My mother would like them a bit thicker, please, Mr Hall, about No:8'. He said` Come a bit closer, son, I can`t hear you`. When I got near the counter he leaned over and clipped me across the ear. He said `Don`t be cheeky, boy, your mother said nothing of the sort`.
He also lived in Queen Street.
Kate: that taught you Patrick - been good ever since.  How do you like your bacon now?

Patrick
October 3, 2010 @ 7:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Henry Hall again!
Ten years on from the bacon incident, I was on leave from the Navy.  I called at The Half Moon one lunchtime. The generosity of the customers overcame my better judgement. Making my way home to Kings Road, I met Henry at the top of Rec Hill. `Hello` he said. `I see you have a bit of a roll on. Has it been a rough day at sea again!`

John Regis
October 8, 2010 @ 11:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Dan
I knew Damon Taylor very well. He worked with my grandad John Regis for many years on the markets and at a shop in Green Lane called Sally Morlands,back in the 60's and early 70's. It was a supermarket and previous to that he worked with my grandad selling and making ice cream. That was called Stamford ice cream company which was at Rock road. Damon moved near Boston in the 80's selling fruit and veg from the back of his transit van. He was a true character!!! The shop Damon ran on the corner of new cross rd was previously Dickinson's butchers, and they eventually moved into the town centre at st Pauls Street where the cancer research shop is. It was ran by Bob Cobley who was a great guy who tragically died of a heart attack about ten years ago. I hope this input is useful.
Kind regards
John

Dan entwisle
October 14, 2010 @ 9:10 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Cheers for the replies. Sad to hear Damon died. He was indeed a great character