good ol shops/PAGE 2 post here now please

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: good ol shops/PAGE 2 post here now please
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date October 23, 2010 @ 8:05 PM
  good old shops(2)post here now
 Foyle's shop Green Lane
 Foyles/Frost? shop
 Frosts Shop
 Shops/Ben & Mrs Foyle
 Foyle/Frost/Brassingtons
 Frost's Shop/sweet rationing
 Shops/Mrs Burdett's
 shops/Burdetts
 old shops/Mrs Flecknor
 shops/Mr Bell
 good old shops
 good old shops
 good old shops/Mr Cook cobbler
 good old shops/Mrs Allen
 RE: good old shops(2)post here now
 shops/lost tonsils
 old shops/Alma Place
 old shops/need a guiness
 old shops/mssg for Clem
 old shops/East St cottage
 g.old shops
 g.old shops
 g old shops/mssg Clem
 g old shops/Alma Place
 g old shops/East Street
 old shops
 g. old shops
 g.old shops/Belton St
 RE: submitting photos
 g.old shops/Healeys
 old shops/High Street
 g old shops/Healeys
 g old shops
 g old shops/Healeys
 gt old shops/Healeys
 g.old shops/Healeys
 RE: good old shops(2)post here now
 g old shops/High St
 g old shops/space behind High St
 g ol shops/printing office
 g ol shops/horses & traps
 g ol shops/why pineapples?
 g.o.shops/Woodcocks bakers
  good ol shops/Starsmore's?
 G.old shops/Sharmans
 g.ol shops/Heinrich Menzel
 g.ol shops/Cuttings/Comptons
 RE: good ol shops/PAGE 2 post here now please
 RE: good ol shops/PAGE 2 post here now please

Kate
October 23, 2010 @ 8:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Please post here PAGE 2 instead of  Page 1. Page 1 is still  there for you to read.
If you post to PAGE 1 it may not be visible as page is too full.  Thankyou. Kate

Pete Leatherbarrow
November 23, 2010 @ 9:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dobb's sweet shop, St Georges Street.

Dan Entwisle
December 17, 2010 @ 1:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Foyle's shop corner of Green Lane
This used to be a proper corner shop when I lived in Stamford back in the early 80s. Run by a man called Mr Foyle. He had a wife and I think a couple of daughters who ran the shop with him.

My stop on the way to Bluecoat School. Fizz bombs, Monster Munch, Polos and Cola Cubes not forgetting sherbert Lemons and Pear Drops.  Great shop.

Its not there any more.  Anyone remember this shop and what happened to the people who ran it?

Joan Stafford
December 17, 2010 @ 7:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Are you sure it was Foyles shop in Green Lane, I seem to think it was Mr & Mrs Frost  Its now a hairdressers.Then there was a shop on the corner of Victoria Road, I think it was run by a Mr. Brassington. Also Garretts shop in Radcliffe Road.  Also quite a few people sold essentials from their homes.

Patrick
December 17, 2010 @ 9:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Joan is right. The shop (1 Alexandra Road) was owned by Mr and Mrs Frost from the 1930s until the 1950s(?). Mr Frost was a painter and decorator and his wife ran the shop. They had a daughter, Margaret, who married a master from Stamford School and moved to Norwich and a son, Ken, who lived locally. Ken`s widow still lives in Stamford.

syd
December 17, 2010 @ 10:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes it was run by Ben and Mrs Foyle and yes they had two daughters, they moved up to Kings Road in the seventies or early eighties I think from Rockingham Road, Ben worked for the ambulance service and if he had a call out and had to pass the bottom of Rockingham Road he set the siren off twice to let his wife know he may be late, they were nice people

Clem Walden
December 18, 2010 @ 1:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-patrick, Joan is part right? and so are you? "Frosts" indeed is correct for the period 1930s-50s and Mr Frost was a painter and decorator and his daughter Margaret did marry a master from Stamford school as you correctly state. But the posting from "Dan Entwisle" is also correct as the period he refers to was the 1980s and at that time the shop was run by "Mr Ben Foyle's and his wife" who had two daughters not sure where the "Foyle's" or his daughters ended up, but are sure that "Foyle's ran the old "Jack Frosts shop" that you I and Joan remember 1930-1950s. Joan also recalls the old "Brassington's" shop  on the corner of Victoria Road, as a lad I visited this shop on many occassions for my mum to get "sugar,vinegar,tea,etc" wonder if anyone remembers those houses that sold essentials that Joan mentions, houses like Mrs Birdetts where I would often visit to purchase salt or fags for my mum or myself. Mrs Birdett did quite a trade in those days (just hope I have spellt her name correctly) does anyone remember where her house was? the clue is a Square just off Essex Road no more than 50 yards walk from Tolethorpe Square down the old Back path. Well thats the route I used to get there.

Christine Pattinson
December 18, 2010 @ 1:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the day sweets were no longer rationed in 1949.My Mum gave me money to go and by sweets at "Frosts Shop".I went with Jill Cottrell. I spent all the money I was given, and got into terrible trouble, as I was only suppose to have bought a small amount. I was made to take some of the sweets back and ask for a refund.

Chris Scott
December 18, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember Mrs Burdett's Clem, I fetched many packets of Woodbines for Mum & Dad.
Their house was No. 32 in the cul de sac (Still Referred to as Essex Road) opposite Norfolk Square, the first one directly on your left as you entered the footpath that led to Victoria Road, Gloucester Road and  New Cross Road.
Bro. John said the Burdetts sold sweets before the war,  I don't  remember ever buying any but I would be running errands whilst rationing was still on.
I hated having to fetch those damned fags!!!!
I do remember Mrs Burdett giving me some lovely old Christmas cards, sadly I have no idea what happened to them.

Clem Walden
December 19, 2010 @ 4:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Chris, seems I did spell the name wrong "Burdett's" not Birdett's as I posted, I was trying to remember Mr Burdett and can picture him coming to the door at times when I visted for my fags or whatever. I believe he may have worked on the railway but are not sure? Do you remember him or where he worked? I seem to think whenever I saw him he was in some sort of uniform. by the way thats my sister Iris on the photo holding Johns hand and Mrs Harper's daughter on the photo is Phylis, I have forwarded all the details to Kate and understand these have been passed on to you.

Lynda
December 21, 2010 @ 1:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember Mrs Flecknor's shop in North Street, nearly opposite the Darby and Joan.  I remember she sold lots of sweets but can't remember if she sold anything else.  The shop was one of the few open on Sundays and I would go there after Sunday School.  It was a very dark shop.

Joan Stafford
December 21, 2010 @ 8:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Another shop - does anyone remember Bells the hairdressers IN FRONT of The Dolphin Pub. one big house I think the Baker family lived in that, and then along East street towards the Boy School were little cottages.  Mr Bell then had a house and shop built opposite, next to Salvation Army, which has now been demolished. Has anyone any photos of these old cottages etc.

Clem Walden
December 22, 2010 @ 8:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Joan, I remember Mr Bell had my hair cut by him many times (when I had hair) I also remember a shop in Broad street that was I believe somewhere near the present "community church rooms" almost opposite the "Burghley pub" I am not sure about the name of it but think It was "Mrs Allens"? she sold lemonade "Dandylion & Burdock" "Tizer" and various other goodies. When I was at St.Michaels School there were gardens front & rear and us boy's maintained these during the spring/summer months, general weeding,digging,planting flowers etc, "hard and hot work for school boy's". When doing these duties some of us boy's would nip to this shop to get a bottle of pop to cool us down. Perhaps you may remember the shop and the name?

Patrick
December 22, 2010 @ 9:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I don`t remember Mrs. Flecknor`s sweet shop but there was a sweet shop in Chapel Yard opposite Lowe`s Passage. It was owned by Mrs. Hamit, a widow. I was at St.Augustine`s School in the !930s with her daughter, Margaret. The shop was very small and dark. The main room faced on to North Street with a large window. Stan Cook rented this and could be seen working as a cobbler for many years.
I also remember Len Bell`s barber shop opposite the Dolphin. He had a contract with the Hospital to shave the male in-patients.
I had my hair cut at `Stibbby` Garrett`s on the corner of Scotgate and North Street in a shop long since demolished.

Clem Walden
December 23, 2010 @ 3:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, was Chapel Yard in the same area as "Alma Place"? I had a school friend who lived in Alma Place "Ron Bryant" and when we were at school in the 40s/50s we would at times call in to see Mr Cook the cobbler and watch him him with great interest. A very nice man, tall, glasses, and wore a white apron "if my memory serves me well" I used Stibby Garrett's the barber many times. Do you remember "Felix Vines" on the oposite side of the road to "Stibby's"? Felix was well known for his "short back and sides style" You mention Len Bell the barber having a contract with the hospital to shave the male-in patients do know if he also cut their hair for them?  As you state old Stibby's has long since been demolished so has Felix Vines. Scotgate and North street has changed so much since I was a lad, so of course has Stamford as a whole. "and keeps changing" However our memories and those of others regarding day's gone by and the various changes made within this Town need to continue to be posted on this forum site to remind all who follow what Stamford Town was once like.

Patrick
December 23, 2010 @ 6:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem. You are quite right. Mrs Allen kept the shop in Broad Street. Her daughter, Doris, and I started at St.Augustine`s on the same day. Doris married Boris, the Polish hairdresser in St.Paul`s Street. .they still live in the town.May I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and a healthy New Year. Also congratulations on your achievements with Stamford Memories Gateway.
Kind Regards
Patrick

Kate: Hello Patrick.  Many thanks for your good wishes.  I would like to wish all members of the Forum a wonderful Christmas and a good New Year.

syd
December 23, 2010 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Clem, it was Mrs Allen's shop, I went to St. Augustines school and used to call in for a small bottle of pop and a 1p packet of broken crisps and get 1/2p change from a thrupenny bit, she was a very nice lady as I remember

Patrick
December 24, 2010 @ 9:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem. Alma Place is now the North Street Car Park. I think the houses were demolished around 1936. It was a bit rough and, if you remember, there were two slaughter houses next door. Not too salubrious particularly on Mondays when the animals arrived from the Cattle Market.
I had forgotten Felix Vines until you mentioned him. I never had a haircut there. I don`t know if Len Bell cut the patient`s hair at the Hospital. If he did, I expect it was all `a short back and sides`. (With the Editor`s permission, a true story about 1930s medicine). I had my tonsils out at the Hospital, aged 10 years old, in1936. I bled badly and afterwards, the doctor said to my mother `The boy is run down. He should have a bottle of Guiness daily for the next three months`. I have gone downhill ever since!

Clem Walden
December 25, 2010 @ 1:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Patrick, thanks for the Christmas wishes, May I say same to you and yours. Thought I would tell you I also had my tonsils out in the 30s at Stamford Hospital but never got any guiness, perhaps thats why i am going down hill? You mention the old slaughter houses I offten would visit "blood and thunder" the old "pole axe" was still used way back then not very "humane". Alan Wyles worked there for many years as you may remember? He still lives within the Town so does his brother Peter Wyles (Porky). Alma Place as you say became the present car-park. Do you remember the old ATC building that was on the corner oposite the Police Station. Also Lowe-Son-and Cobbles storage buildings that were painted bright yellow.

Clem Walden
December 26, 2010 @ 11:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Patrick, correction to my last posting (It was the 40s not 30s) when I had my tonsils out " my memory gets worse as each year passes" I do wish they had given me that "Guiness" friend.

betty
December 26, 2010 @ 1:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Happy New Year Clem I have got to write to say you were not born in the 30's so you could not have had your Tonsils out then   Should this have read 50's.
Happy New Year Kate I will try to keep up my contributions in the New Year
Kate: Hi Betty.  Thanks for all your contributions Betty - most welcome.  Also wish you and all on the Forum a wonderful New Year. K

Joan Stafford
December 27, 2010 @ 9:28 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The cottages in Alma Place were still there in 1957/58 as a plumber called Mr. Black lived in one and we lived in a cottage in East street when we were first married, and one cold bitter winter we had a leak in our sink pipe (lead of course) and he came to repair it. Charged us about 2/6d.  The cottage was demolished in 1960 thank goodness. One coal fire, no central heating, no hot running water, outside toilet, no bathroom, how did we survive?

Clem Walden
December 27, 2010 @ 12:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Betty, happy new year to you. hope you had a good Christmas, seems you would like me to younger? I was born in the 30s but I will forgive you for your mistake. I had however already corrected my error (see my posting to Patrick 26/12/10) It was the 40s. when I had my tonsils out.

Clem Walden
December 27, 2010 @ 3:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Joan, happy new year to you and Geoff, I agree with your dates
re:- demolition of Alma Place 57/8.

betty
December 27, 2010 @ 6:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem I dont think you had your tonsils out as a young baby 1939 say I did see you had corrected your dates but I had already listed my reply.  See you in the New Year and love to Pam

Clem Walden
December 27, 2010 @ 7:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Joan, please forgive me for my my earlier posting (27/12/10)
re:-statement about Alma Place (demolished 57/8) another senior moment I fear? As you stated Alma Place was still standing in 57/8 (not demolished) I believe they may well have been still standing in the early 60s? But I am not actually sure? Hopefully someone will able to provide the correct date when they were pulled down?

syd
December 27, 2010 @ 8:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Joan, my mum had a friend who lived in the old cottages in East Street, they were very dingy and dim and if I remember right they had a very narrow, tight staircase, she left there and came to live just around the corner from us in Essex Road

joan stafford
December 28, 2010 @ 11:20 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Our old cottage in East street, was demolished to make way for a car park for the Grammar School.  It had 2 bedrooms, one was full of buckets to collect the rain coming through the ceiling. The downstairs floors were flag stone, My Dad and Geoff laid tar paper then newspapers, before putting a carpet down, to stop the damp seeping through. In the winter we opened all the drawers and left them open otherwise the damp would swell the wood. Oh! Happy days.  We were newly married so I think that helped.

Patrick
December 28, 2010 @ 8:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Alma Place - apologies! I guessed wrongly about the date of demolition.  I must have confused it with the demolition in East Street in 1935/36. I remember the cottages at the junction of East Street and Rec Road being knocked down. Most of the stone was left on the site and it became known as `Madrid Corner` after the pictures we saw of bombing in the Spanish Civil War.

John Tyers
December 30, 2010 @ 8:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Never thought of placing tar paper on the floors Joan; in our first cottage at bottom of Belton Street we put tar paper directly on the wall under the wallpaper and then used to stare intently to try and detect the damp still coming through!  When we initially moved in, we burnt a sulphur candle to get rid of any bugs but never, in fact, saw one!  Our greatest pestilence was ants; nothing would get rid of the millions who lived with us winter and summer.  It is said they only move in to a happy home but toward the end I got so frustrated, I went all around the outside walls with paraffin and ignited it hoping the flames would drive them away.  It did'nt, needless to say but it made me feel good. However, the old ladies who lived in the other cottages in the row nearly had hysterics on seeing my attempted desperate remedy!

martyn dolby
January 3, 2011 @ 10:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate. I would like to share some old photographs with your readers but I'm not sure how to go about it. Not being very computer literate, I need some instructions to follow. Can you help me please.
Hi Martyn.  I would like to see those photos and add to website.  You need to have them on your computer and then  Open a new email and  address it to me
i.e. kate@stamfordtown.com    put in subject (i.e. photo - just try one to start with).
On email it should say somewhere "Add photo" - mine is just below the subject bar.
Click on this and your  store of photos on the computer should appear in a new smaller  window alongside the email page.  Open  the file containing the photo you wish to send, when you see the photo click on it once to highlight the photo, then click on the add button and the photo should then appear on the email.  You then click "send"  in the normal way. Hope this helps.

If the photos you wish to send are not on your computer, you will need to scan them so that you have them stored on the computer so that you can then follow the above procedure.  

Martyn Dolby
January 15, 2011 @ 11:15 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

rd
Healey's Shop,  Fruit Game & Poultry Dealer,  Stamford
by kind permission of Martyn Dolby
On reverse of actual photograph (held in Stamford Museum)  it says 44 High St, on the computer record for it it says Herbert Healey is on the right with striped apron
the others being Tom Gilbert, Arthur Gilbert (don't know which is which) & Mrs H Healey c1908 pls a n other
44 is where Wilkos is now

Dolby's for 1908 confirms H healey greengrocers at 44

The attached photograph has intrigued me for some time. I discovered it in amongst some family photographs but I am not sure whether it originated from my fathers side (Dolby) or my mothers side (Harvey).
For a long time I wasn't even sure it was connected to Stamford but I have recently spotted that on one of the baskets in the left foreground of the picture you can just about make out 'STAMFORD' around the white strip.
It would be interesting to know a bit more about H HEALEY's Fruit and Game shop and where it was situated in Stamford and hopefully some of the regular visitors to the 'website' might be able to help

Hi Martyn.  Well done for submitting the photo!  I wasn't sure that I understood my instructions - so am in admiration that you managed to follow them.  Anyone help Martyn out with this photo? Kate

Patrick
January 15, 2011 @ 1:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ken Ford `Who Traded Where` puts this shop in High Street.
He writes: `At the bottom of Silver Lane we come to No;13, a charity shop  ... ... by 1875 it became a fishmongers shop of George Healey who vwas also a Fruiterer and Poulterer ...
Hi Patrick - thought you would be on the case!  Did this used to be Cundys? before charity shop(selling decorating materials?)  Kate

Patrick
January 15, 2011 @ 2:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Very close, Kate!
Ken Ford puts Cundys at No.12 and they stayed until the late 70s. No.11 (remember Green`s sweet shop) and 12 were both taken over by the Halifax.  Ken Ford notes that No.13 was divided into two (James Smith, Cleaners and Woodcocks Bakery) sometime around the 60s.
It would be interesting to compare the building as it is now with the photograph of Healey`s shop to see how much of the upper storeys remain.

Patrick
January 16, 2011 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was in High Street today and had a look at No;13. It has all been rebuilt and there is no trace of the Healey shopfront apart from, possibly, the upper right hand window.
The interesting thing about the photograph is that it shows no entry to Silver Lane. I wonder if the original entrance was the one in Walkers (where the staircase is now) and the present entrance came about when Walkers was altered, No.13 was changed and the shop next to it, shown in the photo, was demolished. Peehaps someone else knows.

Clem Walden
January 18, 2011 @ 3:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Patrick, When I was in the High Street today I noticed the upper floor area of Halifax building society looked very much identical to the photo Martin Dolby has posted re:-Healey's shop. Two bay windows with a window between, I wondered when looking at Martins photo of Healey's shop on this site if perhaps Silver Lane was on the right and not visible on his photo. The ground floor and front of the Halfax has undergone many changes but it does look if the upper area is still as it once was. Perhaps next time you are in the Town you will check this out. Question:-Could the Halifax building perhaps have been at one time Healey's shop?

Alan Tutt
January 19, 2011 @ 4:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi

in 1885 there was a George Healey 'fishmongers' at 13 High St
this is 3 down from Walkers next to the bottom of Silver Lane

Ken Ford in 'Who Traded Where' adds that George 'was also a fruiterer & poulterer'

there was a Herbert Healey with a greengrocer's business at 39 High St, now Colemans (art supplies)

However I have found a copy of that actual photograph here & on the reverse it says 44 High St, on the computer record for it it says Herbert Healey is on the right with striped apron
the others being Tom Gilbert, Arthur Gilbert (don't know which is which) & Mrs H Healey c1908 pls a n other
44 is where Wilkos is now

Dolby's for 1908 confirms H healey greengrocers at 44
Kate:  Thanks very much for your research Alan.  Now we can date the photo
and imagine all those poultry and game hanging up outside the top of High Street.
I think there was major reconstruction just there and the old Albert Hall was at the rear  I think behind there where Tesco is now.

Here they are on the 1881 Census
Household:
Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
George HEALEY   Head   M   Male   58   Edith Weston, Rutland, England   Fishmonger Poulterer & Game Dealer    
Sarah Ann HEALEY   Wife   M   Female   48   Tinwell, Rutland, England   Fishmongers Wife    
Herbert HEALEY   Son   U   Male   29   Stamford, Lincoln, England   Assistant (Fishmonger)    
Sarah Ann HEALEY   Daur   U   Female   19   Stamford, Lincoln, England   Assistant (Fishmonger)    
Ada Ellen HEALEY   Daur   U   Female   16   Stamford, Lincoln, England   (No Occupn)    
George A. HEALEY   Son   U   Male   14   Stamford, Lincoln, England   (No Occupn)    
Ethel HEALEY   Daur      Female   8   Stamford, Lincoln, England   Scholar    
Constance M. HEALEY   Daur      Female   6   Stamford, Lincoln, England   Scholar    

Patrick
January 24, 2011 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think Alan gets the prize for discovering the address on the back of the photograph. Doing a `Sherlock` I wonder if George started at No; 13, moved to No:44 when his landlord decided to re-develop No:13 and, later, started Herbert in business at No: 37 in 1900. I see from Ken Ford that, by 1925, No:44 was the greengrocers and fruiterers shop of Tom Gilbert, the one-time assistant of Herbert Healey. Tom later moved his business to No: 50 (where I remember him). Ken Ford says he worked as an errand boy for Tom Gilbert from1941 to 1943. I wonder if Tom Gilbert knew George Healey -born 1823. I believe Ken Ford passed on to higher things a couple of years ago so the three lives could have spanned  more than 180 years.
Hi Clem. I had a look at the Halifax but, whilst it certainly has two bay windows, it is impossible to tell from the outside whether it has been rebuilt or `improved`. I also had a look in Walkers but I couldn't find a date when that was altered but, if you climb to the top of the staircase, there is an excellent photograph of the access at the back that was closed off.

Clem Walden
January 25, 2011 @ 4:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, I agree with you about the Halifax, had a second look today and feel there has been many changes to this building. I also had a walk up Silver Lane as I was told the passage way near the top on the right that leads to the back of the old Central Cinema (Night club now) and continues to the "stage doors" of the Corn exchange that was the old Picture Drome has some interesting views if one looks over the wall on the right into the area that falls behind these High Street shops. Next time you are in the Town call and have a look, there appears to be some old buildings that look as if they may have been shops at one time? also I wondered when looking if there was once a street there?  I wonder if someone out there knows any history this old area?

Patrick
January 27, 2011 @ 8:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
Took your advice and walked along the rear of the old Central. I was surprised at the amount of space behind High Street and it looks as if there might have been a way up to Broad Street in the past. There is no real explanation for the open space in Silver Lane 30 yards down from Broad Street, Whenever I look at the backs of properties in the middle of the town, I remember the saying that Stamford buildings are all `Queen Anne fronts and Mary-Anne backs`!

Clem Walden
January 28, 2011 @ 3:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Patrick, pleased to read you had a look, Just wonder if all that space behind the High Street shops was at one time also a shopping area with an entrance from Broad Street, if one takes a line along this passage (behind the Central) you end up in the open space you mention (that has no explanation for) the space being about 30 yards down from Broad Street (as you say) perhaps this area at one time also formed part of this shopping area? Need to find out more about Silver Lane and possible old shops

phil
February 2, 2011 @ 3:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have a print of an old map by Speed of stamford in 1600.It gives the whole of the area between Silver lane and Ironmongers st,in Broad st as the Corn Market. All of the area behind that down to the High st ,apart from the gardens of the shops, is down on the map as Printing Office with what looks to be an entrance from the High st, probably a shop front.Might be too early for what you are asking but I thought it is interesting..
Hi Phil.  Would it reproduce successfully?  If so we could add it as a photo?
Kate

Patrickecmcc@tesco.net
February 3, 2011 @ 8:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Interesting post from Phil.  The Picturedrome was built on the site of a pub, The Black Swan. The other pubs in Broad Street that catered for the market customers all had big yards at rhe back (Stag and Pheasant, Roebuck, Crown, Lowe, Son And Cobbold) for customers horses and traps. It seems reasonable to suppose that the Black Swan was the same possibly with a back entrance from Silver Lane and the pub would have been very handy for the Corn Market!

syd
February 11, 2011 @ 7:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just moving back down from Silver Lane to Wellington Lane, have you noticed that Wellington Lane  is incorporated in the shop front to the right (was Pondon Mill), apparently, W'ton Lane was, as is now a public passage and its opposite number on the right of the shop was a passage serving a house at the rear.
Plus if any one can tell me, are they pineapples at the top off the columns and if so, why.

Pam Lewis (nee Balfour)
May 16, 2011 @ 9:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I worked at Woodcocks the bakers in 1968, the manageress was Joan Price, married to John who worked at Burghley  House.  Lovely lady called Netta also worked there, made costumes for an amateur dramatics society.  A wonderful shop to work in, my favourite was filling the shop window with delicious cakes on stands each morning. Georgeous fresh cream sponge drops, never seen them since.  Never been back to Stamford since my family left Wittering in 1969 but have never forgotten it.
Kate: Hi Pam.  Yes, loved those fresh cream sponge drops. Hope you will enjoy trawling the memories on here.  I get loads of messages from people who no longer live here but remember all the great things in Stamford.  Its expanded quite a bit on the outskirts but the central town area is much the same - we now have an
M & S. Morrisons and a Waitrose - I think the population has nearly doubled in size.

jill
May 16, 2011 @ 7:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember : Susan's children's wear shop, Harrisons Pork Pie and Pork butchers shop; both St. Mary's street; Bontoft furniture store, Parrishes women's wear shop, Rupert's shoe stall on the market and anyone remember Starsmore's groceries?

Janet Mackey (nee McGowan)
May 29, 2011 @ 2:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember as a very young child, living in Queen Street near Mr and Mrs Sharman c1950-52. Mr Sharman was manager of a grocery shop, Hunters Tea Stores. I believe the Daphne in this thread could be their daughter. I also remember the recreational ground and a small Handyman corner shop possibly in Bentley Street. I now live in a different part of Lincolnshire but do occasionally visited Stamford.

John Tyers
May 30, 2011 @ 4:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Think the Bentley Street shop (general store and off licence) was latterly owned by the genial Heinrich Menzel who returned to live in Germany.  Worked with him, when I first left school, at the Cuttings Mushroom Farm in Water Street.  He was responsible for nurtering the growth and susequent cutting of the mushroom crop.

Clem Walden
June 5, 2011 @ 8:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, thats a blast from the past "Cuttings Mushroom Farm" James Cutting also owned and ran Cuttings Electrical on Barnack road that became "Arthur Lyons" then "Newage" and now is Cummings Diesals. When I was in business the Cuttings brothers gave me several electrical contracting jobs and I well remember working at the old mushroom farm, not sure but believe when they finished with the musroom set up they started to sell garden manure. The Bently street shop in my day was run by the Comptons perhaps you remember them I believe  David Compton still lives in Stamford I know his sister does and is married to Bob Sharpe I offten see them in and around the Town.

Tom Mytton
March 6, 2015 @ 1:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi just another memory happy days in the rendezvous cafe in red lion street juke box in one corner lovely smells of coffee and tea etc   no frills but clean and  tidy i seem to recall.

Roger Partridge
March 6, 2015 @ 7:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Clem, I realise your post regarding the Bentley Street shop is nearly 4 years old, but you mention David Compton's sister. Was her name Elizabeth?

clem walden
March 11, 2015 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John not sure about her name being "Elizabeth" ? But David Compton's sister married the brother of  David Sharp. And the couple used to run the fishing tackle shop in foundry road several years ago. Hope this helps?

Kate:-Please note my new email address.

syd
March 18, 2015 @ 6:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Roger, yes Liz, she married Bob Sharp who played base? in the original Cupids Inspiration.

Roger Partridge
March 19, 2015 @ 7:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Syd and Clem.

I think David and Elizabeth's parents kept The Roebuck in Broad Street at one time in the 1950s. I have a couple pictures of Elizabeth aged about 3 or 4 in our garden in Reform Street, I'm also in one of the pictures. (Can't upload them unfortunately).

syd
March 29, 2015 @ 8:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Base?..Base? what was I thinking about...Bass!

David Farman
May 26, 2015 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I attended the Fane school, the shop on the corner off Alexander road was run by Mr & Mrs Fox , their son Alan was at the Fane School also

Derek
July 27, 2015 @ 11:19 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Along with running the corner shop and working for the ambulance service Ben also drove for Barton buses along with some of the other ambulance drivers on their days off. Ben died in 1986 aged 62, his wife June in 2001 aged 77

Derek
July 27, 2015 @ 12:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There was a shop on the corner of Kings Road/Victoria Road and if you look on the rendered wall
of number 42A you can still see the outline of the old shop window.

Jim Hussey
July 27, 2015 @ 8:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the shop there, It was a television shop in the late 60`s

Syd
July 27, 2015 @ 8:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

That was Brassingtons sweet shop, Derek, another call in for the Essex Roaders.

Derek
July 30, 2015 @ 4:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can't remember Bob ever playing a musical instrument Syd, but i can remember him playing a fishing rod and line pretty well. Not too bad at pushpenny either as i recall.

Joan Stafford
July 31, 2015 @ 8:06 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

What about Garretts shop in Radcliffe Road,  very crowded in there, didn't hold more than two customers

clem Walden
August 1, 2015 @ 12:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hey Sid, Brassingtons  sold groceries and vegetable's as well not just sweets? That's one up to the Tolethorpe Square boys?