"Marshall's Field",Essex Rd

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: "Marshall's Field",Essex Rd
Topic Originator: Philip Rudkin
Post Date October 29, 2010 @ 1:19 PM
 "Marshall's Field",Essex Rd
 "Marshall's field" or was it?
 :Marshalls field/chickens & geese
 Marshall's Field
  Marshall's Field
  Marshall's Field
  Marshall's Field

Philip Rudkin
October 29, 2010 @ 1:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Christine Scott (neeFreear) and I were talking about our memories of our growing up days in Essex Road.   When I mentioned the field at the far end of Essex Road, behind Northumberland Avenue, (which is now flats and houses), Chris reminded me that it was named "Marshall's Field".  That immediately brought back the old days.  The field was a grass field, often neglected, but that was great for us kids from Essex Road and Northumberland Avenue.  We used to play down there regularly.   However, I remember there were various times when the field was used for commercial activities.  Chickens were housed on the field.  Another time I am sure that I remember when ponies (or donkeys), had their home there.  Chris and I think that the name of the field was from Jock Marshall (the baker), who lived on the corner of Essex Road.  Hopefully, some of our contributors will be able to fill out the memories of this field, and if it was used for any other purpose, and perhaps let us know the derivation of the name: "Marshall's Field".

Clem Walden
October 29, 2010 @ 11:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil, I remember the field the same as you and Chris, Chickens to the left and a mud path that ran from the end of Essex road across the middle to the corner of the Cemetery gates (shortcut) the real path was round the outside of this field with allotments on the right of it "all houses now" I also remember ponies on the field and wonder if they belonged to Mr Stubbs who used to come round with his pony and trap at weekends to give all us children rides. Not sure about Jock Marshall owing this field? but it was known to me as "Marshalls Field" there was also a gab in the hedge almost in the centre that one could use to get into Northumberland Avenue, and where the chickens were housed you get  round the back through the hedge to the "Hurdler" and New Cross Road. would be nice to know who's field it was? hope someone can tell us more?.

Joan Stafford
October 30, 2010 @ 7:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, it was Marshall's field an Geoff's Dad used to keep chickens there and sometimes geese (horrid things, used to rush to the wire hissing with their beaks wide open)  The chicken supplied eggs, and then were fattened up for Christmas. His Dad and brother Paul would kill them in their back yard.  Geoff couldn't take part as hes a bit squeamish.
They always kept the oldest and toughest bird for themselves, His Mum always said it took ages to get it tender.  
The first year they had a Turkey it was too big for the oven so Jock Marshall cooked it in his bread oven for them.  Don't know how they got it home (in a wheelbarrow perhaps, Ha! ha!)

Patrick
October 30, 2010 @ 10:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Jock Marshall delivered bread in a van pulled by a pony. Did he, perhaps, keep his pony in `Marshall`s Field?

Philip Rudkin
October 31, 2010 @ 4:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Wow Clem,  I had forgotten about the mud path.   Yes, it was a short cut to the Cemetry gate.   We used it rather than walking around the correct path (behind Mick Lucas's house).  I had also forgotten about the hole in the hedge.  That is where we used to get into Northumberland Avenue.  I used to go to  see 'Jockey' James.  Getting behind the chicken runs to access New Cross Road was great fun.   That is the best about this forum, it jogs memories.  Well done to Kate for setting this up.  Did you notice that Eluned Baker has posted some items, (she lives in Suth Africa).  Phil

Philip Rudkin
October 31, 2010 @ 4:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Joan, that has filled in some very important facts about 'Marshall's Field'.  I did not know that Ted and Paul were preparing the chickens, I think that I would have been like Geoff, I would be too squeamish.  Phil

Sara-Jane Marshall
March 12, 2014 @ 12:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Very much enjoyed reading this. Have been searching for memories of my family since I lost my Father Barrie (Jock's son) in December last year. Would love to hear of any other memories that anyone has of the Marshall family. Thank you.