Tin Hut Foundry Road Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Tin Hut Foundry Road Stamford
Topic Originator: Philip Rudkin
Post Date October 31, 2010 @ 5:33 PM
 Tin Hut Foundry Road Stamford
 Tin Hut, Foundry Road Stamford
 Tin Hut/Saturday sales
 Tin Hut/Tin Chapel
 Tin Hut/Clem on drums
 Tin Hut/Allis-Chalmers
 RE: Tin Hut Foundry Road Stamford
 Tin Hut/badminton
 Tin Hut/that coke stove
 Tin Hut

Philip Rudkin
October 31, 2010 @ 5:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Kate.  I have some old photographs that I would like to put on the gateway memories.   What is the route to submit them?  Thanks, Phil.
Hi Phil.  I would love to have some old photos.  They are the lifeblood of this forum.
Everyone likes to see who they can recognise or see some building or shop that is no longer visible (only a memory).
If you email me and send the photos as attachments I can lift them from the email and post onto the site.  Send  just a few at a time as this will make it easier for me at this end.  It would also be very helpful if you send any text to accompany them to the forum instead of incorporating it into the email.  If its with the email I find it a bit difficult to extract it and post it on to the site and sometimes it seems to "upset" the email.  So to make it clear (as I'm not sure if I understand that myself!)  Send the message about the photo to the forum in the usual way, and then email the photo itself separate from the text to me at
kate@stamfordtown.com
hope this is understandable. You could give each photo a short title so that I know which is which.  Thanks Phil, send one to start with and see if it comes through to me. Kate

Philip Rudkin
October 31, 2010 @ 10:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for instructions Kate, the photo is on the way to you, attached to email.   The photo is intended to show the Tin Hut, which used to be at the bottom of Foundry Road, Stamford.  Although it is of my Aunt Win's wedding to Ernie Wissen, about 1920 time, I wanted to start a topic about the Tin Hut.   I went to many parties there years ago (21st birthdays, anniversaries) etc.  I know many local people who have been there in the past to various functions.   It was a lovely old place.  You can see its outline around the wedding party.  Perhaps someone has got a photo just of the hut itself.   Let us have your memories please of the Tin Hut.  Thanks.
Tin Hut, Foundry Road, Stamford Win & Erni's wedding
by kind permission of Phil Rudkin

Joan Stafford
November 1, 2010 @ 7:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Phil,  
Think it must have been just after the war, there were sales held in the tin hut on Saturday (must have been Saturday as my Dad used to go)  We would go for the whole day. Can only remember a couple of things he bought - one was a big box full of junk - crockery, brass, bedding, tools. Bet it would be worth a fortune now.  I loved those days, sun always seemed to shine, flask of sweet tea, and sandwiches, and kids charging round the tin hut, playing games.

Patrick
November 2, 2010 @ 7:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Great memories of parties in the Tin Hut, mainly in the 1940s, with the Brewery not too far away for a quick half!
It was also known as the Tin Chapel. Did it belong to one of the churches in the town?

Clem Walden
November 2, 2010 @ 11:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil, the Old Tin Hut Foundry road great memories, even went to a dance there back in the earliy 50s, and several birthday parties do you remember the area of land to the left of this Tin Hut (where the School is now) it was allotments at one time, and I believe a Mr Fountain either controlled or owned the site prior to Mr Jack Frisby buying the site. When it was allotments there was some apple trees and a plum tree we very often took advantage off (at night of course) very often after we had left the Army Cadet Force that was at the bottom of foundry road we would do a bit of scrumping. I have forwarded to Kate (hopefully) a photo of Winnie Tyres wedding 1943/4 that I believe was taken to the right of the Old Tin Hut, I was page boy at Winnie's wedding and remember at the reception they had a band the drummer allowed young Clem to have a go on his drums fond memories. Thanks Phil for getting this one going. Hope Kate can get the photo posted on the site If she has received it?
Hi Clem, yes received the photo, but I can't lift it off the email.  You need to send the email with the photo as  a JPG ATTACHMENT .  Have a look at the instructions above where I explained the procedure  to Phil.  Don't put any text in the email - just the photo as the text sometimes upsets the email and prevents me being able to Catch
the photo for the site.  Hope you are successful next time! Thanks for trying. Kate

John Tyers
November 3, 2010 @ 12:34 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Back in the sixties Allis-Chalmers social club used to rent the chapel for one evening per week for the use of the Badminton section.  I recall we used to obtain the key from a gentleman in Queen's Walk who kept an eye on the premises and I think he was churchwarden of All Saint's at the time so perhaps it belonged to the church.  A long time ago now but Clem maybe recalls he used to come up for a game.
Kate:  Thanks for this John.  Must have been a good badminton hall.

Clem Walden
November 4, 2010 @ 2:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate hopefully I have forwarded the photo correct? (working late again)
Wedding Group Tin Hut Stamford

On the photo back left:-Ernie Tyres (Brides Brother) Harry Waldron (Bridegroom) Winnie Tyres (Bride) Ernie Tyres Senior (Brides Father) Bridesmaids:- Right Irene Tyres, Irenes Sister, (Left) Pauline Willis, Jean Rowarth, Little page boy Clem Walden.

Clem Walden
November 4, 2010 @ 4:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, I remember the badminton, and do recall the old tin hut which did indeed belong to "All  Saints Church" the Church Warden lived in Queens Walk and was the key holder as you correctly state, If my memory serves me well my badminton skills were zero? nothing ever changed and I never got to grips with this particular sport, neither was I ever any good at football or cricket, perhaps these sports were a little too fast for me? Snooker and fishing on the other hand were sports/activities that really suited my pace of life. As most of the locals who have lived within the Town all their lives will remember. However like most of my generation I had a go at most things and enjoyed doing so. Today I appreciate all those that contribute to this excellent forum and remind me and others about our youth and all those past golden days "when a week would seem like a month" "and a month seemed like a year" Great days fond memories.

Christine Pattinson
November 4, 2010 @ 4:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am sure it is the same tin hut that All Saints School used.I remember being walked up to the hut in our classes with a teacher.Not sure what we used it for.I do remember that in the winter it was heated by a coke stove that gave out fumes, and made us all cough. Am I correct about this???

Mike Laughton
May 5, 2011 @ 8:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the Tin Hut vividly. I was born in 1943 and lived in Austin Street all my early life.
The tin hut was in fact the All Saints Church Rooms and bookings for it  had to be made through one of the churchwardens. We used it for family wedding receptions and 21st birthday parties etc.
During the late 40s/early 50s a magician/children's entertainer used to come to the tin hut twice a year.
Anyone else remember him? We kids  thought he was great. He only charged a few pence to get in to see his show and I don't recall seeing any pre-publicity for his shows. We used to find out about them from other kids at school