St. Johns Ambulance Cadets

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: St. Johns Ambulance Cadets
Topic Originator: christine pattinson
Post Date November 18, 2010 @ 10:12 AM
 St.Johns A.Cadets/I was there
  St. Johns Cadets/Largs holiday
 Ambulance Cadets/that's me
 Ambulance Cadets/mssge for Chris
 Ambulance Cadets/Seamer Family

christine pattinson
November 18, 2010 @ 10:12 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was a cadet in the 1950's Mr & Mrs Newall were in charge We met each week to practice splinting broken legs, bandaging, and putting arms in a sling. One week someone dropped a heavy wooden box on the fire extinguisher which started to spray foam the length of the room,we had to make a quick exit as the whole room filled with sticking foam.Are there any more cadets that can remember the 50's.???
Ambulance cadets
Jean Downs and Christine Painter (Cadets in the 1950's)
by kind permission of Christine Pattinson
CLICK ON ACTIONS, THEN ON  SLIDESHOW TO GET LARGER IMAGE. CLICK ON 2 BARS TO LEFT OF IMAGE TO REMAIN  ON THAT PICTURE

Kate:  Thanks very much for those memories Chris.  Any retired cadets out there?

John Tyers
November 18, 2010 @ 4:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My wife will never hear anything good about the city of Lincoln; in her mind it remains in a timewarp.  She is prejudiced because one Sunday in 1944, I think it was, the Stamford detachment went on a parade there with other civil services and it rained all day. Everyone got soaking wet and she always comments what a dump, nowhere open to get warm and buy a cup of tea.  Ah! the rigours of wartime. I'm sure the place must have changed since then!

Chris Scott (Freear)
December 8, 2010 @ 5:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Christine, I remember you in the SJAB, though you were a little younger than I.
I belonged to the SJAB from 1948 until 1954, and went on the summer camps to Wales and Scotland.
What we learned on those Friday eveings has stood me in good stead over the years, so something must have 'gone in' in spite of spending a lot of time messing about and being told off. Eluned Baker, Phyllis Joyce and myself were part of a team that competed against other brigades, Phyllis (My cousin)was the leader, she was a responsible and sensible girl, the rest of us were typical teenagers, so didn't do very well in these annual competitions. I also remember practising marching, around the Vine Street and Bently Street area, then having to turn out in uniform for the Sunday parades and gathering on the Rec. for group photos.
Do you remember the little, cellar type, canteen, where we could get Vimto and Ice cream soda etc., after the meetings, it was opposite the side entrance to the Ambulance Station, we went down stone steps into it, It is now part of the outside seating area of the Lord Burghley. I well remember Mr & Mrs Newell, Mrs Newell was a very strict, childless lady, (I can still see the severe, coiled, plaited 'earphones' hairstlye)  and dear old Joan (Bingham) a dedicated lady, she was like a mother to us on those summer camps, also there was Dorothy (Ruddock) who join

Christine Pattinson:
Hello Chris Freear, yes I do remember you and Eluned and Phyllis.We moved from Tolethorpe Square in 1948 to live in Vine St. and I think Phyllis lived in Bently St. Did she marry a vicar and live in Cumbria? Living so close to Mr. and Mrs Newell I was forever running errands for them.One year I won a handbag for being a good Cadet. I went on two holdays, one to The Lake District, near Buttermere, and another to Largs Scotland. I had forgotten all about Jane Bingham she was great fun, she worked at Cascelloids.I have added a very old photo of us on the beach on the Scottish holday,I think you will recognize some of the faces.ed the adults shortly after I joined the brigade.
Happy times.

Chris

St John's Ambulance Cadets Holiday

Chris Scott (Freear)
January 8, 2011 @ 10:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for that Christine, yes, Phyllis did live in Vine Street and  she did marry a handsome Methodist Minister, Barrie, who was referred to as 'Angel Face' by the girls who worked on Boots at that time. Phyllis & Barrie are retired and currently living in Ruskington near Sleaford, we see them regularly. Their first move from Stamford was to Skipton, I don't think they ever lived in Cumbria.
Eluned is living in South Africa.

I went on a holiday to Largs, I wonder if it was the same holiday as you, we stayed in a white cottagey place, situated in a village just outside Largs, the elderly couple (Well they seemed elderly at the time, probably about 50 haha) who owned it were Mr & Mrs Campbell.

Well done for winning the handbag....I was never a good cadet.

Bridget Carr (nee Sheehan)
February 20, 2011 @ 12:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello I think thats me on the photo at the back the girl in plats.  I can remember going to Largs with the St. Johns Ambulance Cadets and had a lovely time.  Is was a real treat for me in those days as I was brought up in Southern Ireland by my grandparents and had only been over here for 4 years to live with my parents again.  This was due to the war as I was born in 1939.  We didn't get many treats in Ireland going to a convent school in Limerick.
Kate: Hi Bridget.  Glad you found the forum + a photo of yourself on it too. I am sure some of the other Cadets will remember you.

Clem Walden
February 26, 2011 @ 1:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Chris, nice to see at the old Albion (Otters Pocket) recently although sad circumstances, such is life. When you was on that holiday in Largs Ayrshire was the village you stayed called "Fairlie"? which is just down the coast from Largs. And did you manage to get over to the island and visit Millport? on your holiday with St Johns Ambulance? Pamela and I visited Largs in 2002 we also went over to Millport where we cycled round the island, (I was fit then?) such a lovely place we had a great time, that was the first time we had ever been to Largs. Gerald Bradshaw mentioned to me the village "Fairlie"  as he believes thats where you all stayed. Do you remember?

Chris (Freear)
March 5, 2011 @ 3:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Nice to see you in the Albion too Clem (It'll always be The Albion to me) As a child I went regularly with my Mum to visit the Seamer family (5 boys.... John, David, Michael, Peter & Tony) who lived right across the road, it was next door to The Jockey Club, often used to see Pam & brother Colin around.
Yes, it was Fairlie we went to, pretty little place, we stayed in a biggish house run by Mr & Mrs Campbell, elderly couple, must have been all of 50, ha ha.... they just seemed old to us at the time. We used to walk across the road to the beach and there was lovely 'Fairlie Glen' within walking distance, spent lots of time there Sadly we didn't get to Millport, that must have been the island we could see from the beach, we only went on trips organised by Joan Bingham and Dorothy Ruddock, the long suffering, dedicated ladies who put the holiday together and coped with all us teenagers, wonderful memories and happy days.