Stamford Town Thursday Football Club 1919

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Town Thursday Football Club 1919
Topic Originator: christine pattinson
Post Date December 6, 2010 @ 4:38 PM
 Thursday FC/msg Christine

christine pattinson
December 6, 2010 @ 4:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Back Row.T.H.Wright chairman.T. Bell vice chairman.J.Day.right full back.W.Middleton goalkeeper.L.Forman.left full back.W Scarber.secretary.S.Panter.treasurer.H Islip.trainer
Second Row.F.Boyden right half back.A.Dorman.centre half back.F.Hayter.left half back.
Front Row.H.Jones.outside right.S.Jones.inside right.W.Hudson.centre forward.G.Hudson.inside left.T Proctor.outside left.
WINNERS OF STAMFORD INFIRMARY CUP 1919-1920.
Any sons or daughters of the players.  Or even grandsons and grandaughters.
Hi Chris.  Thanks very much for this. Thanks for all your photos they are making a great contribution to the Forum as I am sure  our members would agree.
Is J DAY on back row the J DAY engine driver?  Anyone know?

Stamford Town Thursday football club 1919

Go to + (top right) and then SEE ALL SIZES  to see best ENHANCEMENT
Full Screen Image

alan tutt
December 15, 2010 @ 10:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Christine
I work in Stamford Museum & have written a Winter Slide Talk called Hops & Hostelries: from Albion to Woolpack, an historical look at Stamford's breweries & watering holes. It will be on at the Arts Centre next year (with others) I was interested in the photo of Patens that you posted. Would you allow me to use it in the talk? It is rare to see early interior shots - I also wondered what the background story to the pic is. Hope you can help

Alan Tutt

francis templeman
November 12, 2014 @ 6:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

J H John Henry Day Known as Jack Day was the Engine Driver of the last train from Essendine to Stamford (The Essendine Flyer). He is my Grandfather

Martin Noakes
December 26, 2015 @ 1:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello

Looking at your photos, I can confirm that the Jack Day you mention is indeed my maternal great-grandfather, John Henry Beaton Day (27i1894-23x1967). I have inherited some similar photos from my grandmother, his daughter Jean Templeman(1923-2007), and that man is definitely him. He was an artilleryman in the Northamptonshire Regiment, and then became a Railway Engine Driver. He was very heavily involved in sport in the Stamford area. One photo my great-grandmother, his widow Florence (1899-1989), had on her wall when I was a small boy showed him setting the stumps for the Burghley Cricket Team in the early 1960s. We also had one of him shaking hands with someone and giving out a prize for the Borough Council, though in what capacity, I am unsure. Was he a Borough Councillor at some point? No lists seem available beyond the current incumbents.

Best Wishes

Martin Noakes (son of Eileen, daughter of Jean, daughter of Jack Day).
Pickforde Oaks House, Chard Farm, Main Street, Tilton on the Hill, Leics LE7 9LF