Melancholy Walk

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Melancholy Walk
Topic Originator: Ray Tyers
Post Date December 13, 2010 @ 11:13 PM
 Melancholy Walk
 Melancholy Walk/No. 3
 Melancholy Walk
 RE: Melancholy Walk
 Melancholy Walk/super walk
 Melancholy Walk/inspiration
 Melancholy Walk/gallows

Ray Tyers
December 13, 2010 @ 11:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just revisiting the site and to add my Bit. I remember visiting my aunt ( early sixties)  who lived in a very dilapidated terrace at the stamford end of Melancholy walk beside the meadows. The road used to flood regularly flooding through the house which had a lower kitchen so fortunately the water just ran out.  There was also a dairy at the top of the hill so twice a day the road would be covered in dung as the cows were fetched  in for miliing and returned to the meadows.
Kate:  Yes Ray - I remember those "Cowpats"

John Lumsden
December 23, 2010 @ 12:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hallo Ray,My grandmother lived at No3 in 1881.Any idea if it's still standing

RAY TYERS
December 24, 2010 @ 9:35 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The terrace isnt there any more, knocked down after I think being condemned ( The doctor - of used to ride a horse fame ) I think disappeared through the floors at one stage and that helped the tenants get re-housed). Was replaced by a couple of Houses early seventies but havent ventured down there  for many years.

syd
December 24, 2010 @ 3:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, the cottages are still there, they are called Free Man's Cottages,
they have changed a bit since your relatives lived there. there are two or three houses now.

If you use google maps, type in Austin Friar's Lane and follow the lane to the bottom, you can see the cottages, a friends sister lived in , and I think that may have been number three.
I think they are numbered from the left.
I wonder if the Freemen of Stamford lived in them originally?

betty
December 26, 2010 @ 1:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Ray I too think the cottages are still there but obviously very modernised and very much sort after.  When I visited my mother in Stamford I always walked along the meadows by the cottages.  Further along we always found frogspawn where the river runs along the path.
Kate:  Why Melancholy?  Always seems such a lovely walk and everyone has been there.

syd
December 31, 2010 @ 8:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You got me thinking Betty, as to why Melancholy, and came up with this piece about melancholia:

A famous allegorical engraving by Albrecht Dürer is entitled Melencolia I. This engraving portrays melancholia as the state of waiting for inspiration to strike, and not necessarily as a depressive affliction.

As the site of the Austin Friars is just above there, could they have walked along the Walk in contemplation, thought and prayer, I could well imagine it.

Clem Walden
January 1, 2011 @ 12:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Syd I like your your story about Melancholy Walk. The story told to me about this walk is not so christian like. I am given to understand centuries ago outside the Town walls there was a settlement within the meadows that had gallows that were used for executing unfortunate individuals. The route these individuals were taken from the Town was along the area we know as "Melancholy Walk" (seems to fit the bill) Please note I personally have not reasearch this but "Tommy Glencross" told me he had. He was given a talk about various old slides of Stamford at the time that were being shown at the Town Hall one open day. When he informed me and various others about the  history of Melancholy Walk. if you know him perhaps next time you see him you can have a word with him about this. happy new year to you and all. Clem