W.H.Patch Cream Buses

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: W.H.Patch Cream Buses
Topic Originator: John Tyers
Post Date January 1, 2011 @ 10:13 PM
 W.H.Patch Cream Buses
  Cream Buses/George Cunnington
 W.H.Patch Cream Buses
 Cream Buses/ebay photos
  Cream Buses/Willow Cafe
 Patches Cream Buses
 Patch Cream Buses picture
 Patches buses/McKechnie
 W.H.Patch Cream Buses
 Cream Buses/fleet list
 RE: W.H.Patch Cream Buses
 RE: W.H.Patch Cream Buses
  W.H.Patch Cream Buses
 W.H.Patch Cream Buses

John Tyers
January 1, 2011 @ 10:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone got any photos of Mr Patch's buses they could exhibit?  A bigger company in their day than Delaine which survive to this day, there only seems to be a couple of Cream bus photos on the web of this very smartly turned out fleet of differing types of bus and coach before they were sold out to Bartons.

June Rollings
January 3, 2011 @ 10:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John.

Dont have an photos of the Cream Bus Service but have lots of happy memories of when I was at Casterton Seondary School. The bus service was used to convey pupils from the Rutland area to the Casterton school.  My abiding memory is of George Cunnington driving us home to Ryhall when the lads played tricks on him and he threatened to put them off the bus and make them walk home.  George was a lovely little man and really did deserve more respect than te lads gave him.  Those were really happy days.

John Tyers
January 4, 2011 @ 11:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello June; old buses are an interest and there are surprisingly few photos of Patch's.  They had the contract to take the workforce to and from Essendine works so I travelled with them for over 25 years when I worked there. Latterly as we all know, they were taken over by Bartons and the buses deteriorated to a motley collection of old crocks.  The friendly drivers did'nt seem to change much down the years so they must have been content with their lot.  However I recall two drivers who to me were completely irresponsible; not the old long serving staff it has to be said and during Bartons time.  They used to frighten the passengers when particularly on a Friday teatime, they would decide to race the buses  neither willing to give way to the other; if anything had been coming the other way, we would have all had it!  People were always going to report them but never did.

phil
January 7, 2011 @ 10:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello John,At the moment there are about 8 pictures of Cream Bus Service on ebay the owner has put a line through them but they are good to look at.Just go to ebay and put Stamford in and search!!Hope this is o.k.for you.In the early 50s my mates and I used to sit on the Stamford side bank at Essendine Station watching those fantastic A 4s fly by, often getting removed by the station master.Yours Phil

John Tyers
January 7, 2011 @ 11:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil; thanks for the e-bay referral and very interesting photos.  I was familiar with the two ex London Transport AEC RT diesel double deckers bought during the 1956 Suez fuel crisis but had forgotten the advertising slogan until I saw the photo, they carried on the sides for the Willow Cafe which was owned by the family.  Off thread but my Aunt was night duty manageress there for many years when they stayed open for the benefit of the passengers on the long distance coaches which called at Stamford in the early hours.  She used to tell me of the many celebrities who patronized the establishment, particularly the famous jockeys who used to give her racing tips which always seemed to result in winners!

Peter
January 12, 2011 @ 3:09 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

This thread brings back some old memories as I remember the Cream Buses and Harry Patch who was one of a number of octogenarians in the town who seemed about 50 years younger than their ages, putting many a younger man to shame. I also remember travelling home from Essendine when Barton's had taken over and, when negotiating the bends at Ryhall, hearing 'Sixer' Trowell shouting "lean or you'll have us all over". It must have worked because we always made it home.

Dave Leishman
January 12, 2011 @ 2:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello.
Here is a link to a picture of a couple of Patches buses at Bishops road bus station Peterborough.
http://citynoise.org/article/786
Click on or copy and paste the link, scroll down to the pic.
For those who have not checked there is already a Patches Bus topic on this site.
http://www.ancestorgateway.com/forum/read_thread.cfm?ForumID=7&ThreadID=199&Thread=153
Regards.
David.

Mike Laughton
May 7, 2011 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Patches buses. The company used to operate the Stamford to Peterborough bus service and if we ever went on a Sunday School or seaside outing we would always travel by Patches buses.
Mr Patch had identical twin daughters, one of whom married Reid McKechnie.
In later years Reid ran the bus company and after that owned the Willow Cafe, Olde Barn restaurant and the coffee bar.
Reid was very generous. If you ever wanted a prize for a charity raffle he would always be first to donate a bottle of whisky.
Incidentally Reid's brother was a well-known actor - James McKechnie . He appeared in several films but was best known for playing The Flying Doctor on radio in the 1950s.

Gloria
June 28, 2011 @ 8:55 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate:  Hi Gloria.  I am sorry, but feel unable to publish  your posting - because  as you will realise, I will not be able to publish names if they are posted - for protection of the website in case  living persons, or relatives object or dispute.  Hope you understand.    Perhaps you would be able to get information from Patches Archives or Stamford Mercury if you know approximate dates? I hope you will be able to find out the info you are seeking - I looked up details of my relatives on old copies of Stamford Mercury (dating back to the year  1909 in the Library) and this gave me info I did not know about my grandfather.

Andy H
July 7, 2012 @ 10:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just found this thread through Google. The Lincolnshire Road Transport Museum (LVVS) has acquired a batch of photo's of Cream Bus Services; currently they appear on the Society's flickr page. Further information is sought about the company especially a fleet list for them.
Hi Andy.  Anyone have a fleet list of the Cream Bus Services for Andy (or have an idea where to find one?. K

Dave Leishman
July 8, 2012 @ 7:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Previous link may be wrong try this.
David
Kate: Tried both David.  google says no results.

Barbara Wright
April 16, 2013 @ 3:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Have just found the Stamford Gateway site - fascinating!   My grandfather was Harry Patch and my father Reid McKechnie.   My mother (now 94) was an idential twin and she now lives in a Care Home - her sister died 3 years ago.
You have made me want to troll through all the old photographs with a glass or 3 of wine!
Thank you
Kate:  Hello Barbara. Thanks very much for that.  Tim Musgrove has just added a clip of the takeover of the Patch Cream Bus Service - which will I am sure be of interest to you and to lots of others.  Did your parents live in the house at the end of Casterton Road - next to what is now a garage?  Clanranald if I remember correctly?
To trawl through the photos go to Flickr  and enter stamfordtown.com and you will then get all the Gateway pages of photos.  Hope you enjoy.  Perhaps send us one or two?

TIM MUSGROVE
April 16, 2013 @ 10:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i have copy extract of story from mercury re Mr Patch selling to Bartons in 1960 it states that he had 22 coaches
it might be worth contacting Bartons as they may have records that show the take over details
have e mailed copy of story
Kate: Thanks for that Tim.  I have loaded onto Flickr

PATCH BUS STORY16042013_00000

Barbara Wright
April 17, 2013 @ 10:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Kate
You are correct - my 2 sisters and I lived at Clanranald.   I am now going to check out all the photographs
Kate: Thanks Barbara hope you find some to send to the Gateway Forum.