COLIN DEXTER - CREATOR OF MORSE AND LEWIS

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: COLIN DEXTER - CREATOR OF MORSE AND LEWIS
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date January 12, 2007 @ 11:50 AM
 COLIN DEXTER - CREATOR OF MORSE AND LEWIS
 RE: AN AUDIENCE WITH COLIN DEXTER
 RE: COLIN DEXTER - CREATOR OF MORSE AND LEWIS

Kate
January 12, 2007 @ 11:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

An Audience with Colin Dexter (an old Stamfordian and creator  of Morse and Lewis)   was at Stamford School Hall on Friday 16th March 2007 at 8 p.m.
Was very good.  Especially if you remember him and his family when they lived in Stamford.(See entry below - headed Dexter's shop22nd March 2006).
Any further memories of Colin and his family welcomed.

Kate
March 17, 2007 @ 11:28 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

This was a tour-de-force by Colin.  He spoke for about an hour and a half almost non-stop.  He rivalled Peter Ustinov in his wit and style - he kept me spell-bound for the whole time. I have seen the Morse series on television, but have never read any of the books.  His sense of timing and unexpected punch lines made me reconsider this. The session ended with questions from the audience and one suspected Colin could have gone on talking all night - even on these unexpected topics.  I especially liked his tale of how as an "extra" in his television productions he acted roles as diverse as once a tramp and once, the Bishop of Oxford.  When it came to the lunch break, Colin was about to remove his Bishop's garb, but was urged not to because of the time it would take to re robe himself on return to the film set.  He therefore rather reluctantly crossed the road in a Bishop like manner (robe imposing certain limitations)  to the pub opposite (aptly named The Mitre) and found he was feted and dined in a style he had never experienced before or since and asked "a window seat, your Grace?" much to his delight.  
The event was organised in equal style by the Rotary Club.  Stewards attended taking guests to their seats, and generally seeing that the event went smoothly.  Guests arriving early, (8 p.m. start) found their way to the School dining room where drinks were served - included in the ticket price.  The event was organised for charity.  Bookmark gave a set of Colin's books to one lucky winner of the lottery.  
If you get the chance to hear Colin at some future date - do not miss as he is a fascinating raconteur.
If you attended the Stamford event - send in your thoughts.

JohnDale McAllister
April 5, 2007 @ 5:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, I have a boxed set of 13 Morse paperbacks which I could send to you if you would like them. Kind regards,JD.
Kate: Hello John.  Thank you so much for your offer.  I have managed to locate one or two of the books  locally through acquaintenances - so the only problem now will be finding the time to read them.  Somehow, in our life today (well my life -) reading doesn't come out at the top as it used to, although I do miss it.  I enjoy listening to the book readings on ONE WORD on the radio.  Must be getting lazy.  Thanks again.K