School Panto 1956/photos

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: School Panto 1956/photos
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date May 9, 2011 @ 1:09 PM
 School Panto 1956/photos
 School Panto 1956/NOEL NEEDHAM
 School Panto 1956/Beaky Barlow

Mike Laughton
May 9, 2011 @ 1:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

These photos were taken during a production of Jack and the Beanstalk at the Stamford Boys Secondary Modern School (formerly St Michaels) in December 1956.
At the time the music teacher at the school was a brilliant musician - Frank Lee - who was also MD at the Embassy Theatre in Peterborough where he lived.
The script was written by teachers Beaky Barlow and Syd Wareham who both lived in Empingham. They were very good at writing jokes about the school and other teachers. They also wrote funny parodies of popular songs of the day. For example "Three coins in the Fountain" became "Three boys in Detention."
Both pictures were taken by teacher "Pop" Naden (Sue Naden's dad) who is still alive and a ripe old age.(Sorry to query this,but can anyone verify this for me?)
Hope these photos don't embarrass too many old married men in the town.
PHOTO 1:  (front row) Pete Dolby (who lives with his wife Dot in Barnack), Mike Laughton, Lewis Lee (a well known Stamford postman and former football referee), David Blades (He played Princess Jill and all the boys fancied him)
(Back row) Philip Snowden, Noel Needham (with violin), Can't remember his name.
PHOTO 2. Taken on stage in the same production. I can't remember all the names but the tall lad at the back is Pete Morris who played the giant. Adrian Sharman is centre as the Prince. And prominent on the front row is Pete Dolby, Derek Marjoram and Johnny Lock.

St Michael's School Pantomime 1956

St Michael's School Pantomime 1956

Double click on photo to go to larger image.  Then click on + sign above
photo, then "All Sizes" alternatively, you can go on "Slideshow".To go on Slideshow click on "Actions" above photo and select Slideshow.   To pause
Slideshow click on the 2 vertical lines to left of photo.

mike laughton
August 3, 2011 @ 3:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A correction!
The lad with the violin was NOEL Needham, not Roger. A very good violinist I seem to recall.

phil
August 3, 2011 @ 5:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mike I can remember Beaky Barlow winding the Dial Clock up first job every monday morning.And can you remember in Smattons music room all the straws with nibs in them in the wooden roof joists,too high to get out.And how everyone was chuffed when Miss Peasgood arrived as a teacher?And Taffys room by the side of Browns Hospital,and all the Litzing going on up the passage on the way back.We were often saved by Mr Cook the shoe repairer at the top!!Great Days but we didn't know it then.And no mobile phones so no one banging into you in the street!!!