Guide Hut, Conduit Road

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Guide Hut, Conduit Road
Topic Originator: John Tyers
Post Date May 18, 2011 @ 3:50 PM
 Guide Hut, Conduit Road
 RE: Guide Hut, Conduit Road
 Guide Hut/where to party now?
 Guide Hut, Conduit Road
 Guide Hut, Conduit Road
 Guide Hut/good news
 Guide Hut, Conduit Road
 Guide Hut/new building

John Tyers
May 18, 2011 @ 3:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Another landmark gone - not eligible for membership of the guides, I hasten to add but we used to hire it in the fifties for our youth group and the scene of innumerable memorable parties and functions.

Christine Pattinson
May 29, 2011 @ 1:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Two photos for the Forum the topic "Guide Hut Conduit Road." The bride is my mother Constance Hibbitt and the groom my father Ben Painter. It is their wedding reception on the lawn at the hut on July 1st 1933. The older couple are my grand parents. When I lived in Vine St.1948-1959 our house backed on to the hut and I remember hearing the guides games and singing.Sorry to hear the hut has been demolished, what will happen to the plot of land?
Chris Pattinson

Outside Guide Hut 1933

Outside Guide Hut 1933

Mike Laughton
June 15, 2011 @ 8:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wasn't aware the Guide Hut had gone. Like the Darby and Joan Hall, it was a popular venue for wedding receptions 18th and 21st Birthday parties, socials, childrens' parties etc.
With the tin hut, Darby and Joan Hall and guide hut all gone, where do people hold their parties now?

Clem Walden
June 15, 2011 @ 8:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Christine, What will happen to the plot? Housing development.

Kevin Vinter
November 4, 2011 @ 7:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A new guide hut has risen like a Phoenix on half the site.

Clem Walden
November 15, 2011 @ 12:42 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kevin that is very good news.. hope this will remain there. The only proposed planned development I have seen as yet is for housing on this site.

Kevin
November 23, 2011 @ 1:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the new building is there to stay for some time as it is brick built, it is on the same piece of land that the old hut stood on. I was told that the other half of the site had been sold for housing to finance the new build.

Gillian Hendy
November 25, 2011 @ 1:44 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Oh my what wonderful pictures :)

I used to go to Brownies in the old guide hut.   So a new one has been built - I did wonder on my daily drive down Conduit Road what monstrosity would be thrown up.   Still better a guide hut than any more houses.