The Meadows' Hump

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The Meadows' Hump
Topic Originator: mike laughton
Post Date June 5, 2011 @ 5:32 PM
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump/electrified
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 RE: The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 RE: The Meadows' Hump
  The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
 The Meadows' Hump
  Meadows' Hump/Gooches

mike laughton
June 5, 2011 @ 5:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Throughout my childhood there was a big hump on Stamford meadows between the two footbridges across the main river and the Millstream. In those days the footpath was elevated and at its highest point the hump would have been about 12 to 15ft high.
This meant that if you stood in the main meadow you couldn't see the town bridge.
There was a tunnel running through the hump which we kids used to enjoy crawling through pretending we were escaping POWs.
The hump was created in the 1930s when the soil from the mound on top of the castle site was moved to the meadows while a car park was being created. Today this is the bus station.
The meadows hump was removed, I believe, in the early 1960s and soil evenly divided between the two fields either side.
I wonder if anyone has any pictures of the meadows in the 1940s or 50s which show the hump.

syd
June 6, 2011 @ 10:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If you google Francis Frith Stamford meadows 1955 you will find a picture of the Hump, we spent many an hour riding down the slope on our push bikes at the millstream end, there was quite a track worn into the slope if you remember.

John Tyers
June 7, 2011 @ 12:04 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Years ago while standing nattering in Bath Row near the iron bridge we were watching the mechanical digger demolishing the "Hump!"  My uncle who was with us shouted to the driver to take care as there was an electric cable buried in it.  That worthy shouted back to said uncle "You mind your business, matey and I'll mind mine!"  Suddenly there was a loud report and a blinding flash and a shaken driver quietly said, switching off his engine "Blimey mate, you were right!"  My uncle told him he remembered the hump being constructed and the cable interred therein.  Always trusted that the driver was wearing rubber wellies.

a t goodchildatgoodchild@hotmail.co,uk
February 10, 2013 @ 7:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was born and brought up in Church Court, St.Martins so I remember the hump very well, having walked over and played on it many thousands of times.  I used to wonder, as a child, what is was there for and only recently found the answer.  But looking back  I had some great times  either riding my bike up and down the hump, playing in the meadows fishing in the Welland and once a year the big bonfire by the bridge at Bath Street.

syd
February 11, 2013 @ 8:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have just looked at the Frith's photo again and you can see another portion of raised ground at the Mill stream end of the hump running upstream for a little way, and you can just see the wear in it from riding off the hump and up the far bank.
Forgot all about that one!.

at goodchild
February 14, 2013 @ 11:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hello syd.    yes I have had many a  fall from my bike  on that section of the hump but luckily no broken bones. Remember the winter floods.  Had to take the long way home ona few occasions

Lynda
February 26, 2014 @ 10:02 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have two photos of the Meadow's hump, but may need help to post here
Kate: Hi Lynda.  To post the photos, send me an email with the photos attached as a JPEG. Should be somewhere on your email when you send the message which says "attachment" or "attach photo". Your photo needs to be on your computer prior to doing the email.  You could send 2 separate emails, one for each photo if you are unsure?  Send to
kate@stamfordtown.com  Hope you manage it then I will add to the thread.
Thanks again. Kate
To get large image double click photo, then click on 3 dots to right of photo, then "download all sizes".  Super!  Flickr keep changing the format but we keep getting there. K

tim musgrove
March 3, 2014 @ 10:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

lynda
any idea what date the photos where taken?
i have one that shows some of the hump i would say taken mid 50's i will e mail it over

To get large image double click photo, then click on 3 dots to right of photo, then "download all sizes".  Super!  Flickr keep changing the format but we keep getting there. K

Phil Snowden
March 4, 2014 @ 5:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Meadows in 1913

Lynda
March 5, 2014 @ 8:17 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

At a guess, I would think my two photos were taken mid 50's.

Mike Laughton
March 6, 2014 @ 1:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Love Lynda's photos.
I think they will have been taken in the early 1950s.
The little boy in the picture looks like Barry Hodgett. I think he was related to the Musgrove family.
Was he a cousin of Melvyn and Ralph?

betty
March 6, 2014 @ 6:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Barry Hodgett was Melvyn and Ralph's nephew  The photographs brought back many happy memories as it was lovely to see my friend's house which is now just part of Bath Row Car Park

Lynda
March 7, 2014 @ 8:29 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Mike.  I am sure the photos were taken by my dad on his Kodak Brownie camera.  I think at that time the film only held eight pictures

Roger Partridge
March 7, 2014 @ 7:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Lynda, you're correct about the Kodak Brownie. I was still at primary school when I  bought mine in 1960 and there were only 8 pictures per film.

Keith Hansell
March 11, 2014 @ 9:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Lovely to see those photo's. Apart from bringing back memories of the hump and going through the central pipe, they also show Gooches Court.