The Lord Nelson Public House.

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The Lord Nelson Public House.
Topic Originator: Philip Rudkin
Post Date June 16, 2011 @ 11:25 PM
  Lord Nelson/Tony Richardson.
 The Lord Nelson Public House/pub closures.
  Lord Nelson & Queen's Head
 Lord Nelson/George Brown
 RE: The Lord Nelson Public House.
 The Lord Nelson Public House
  Lord Nelson/Reg Burton

Philip Rudkin
June 16, 2011 @ 11:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Tony Richardson on piano, and myself on drums, were asked to play at the pub in Red Lion Street, by Ross the landlord, for the evening of the last night before the pub closed down, in 1961.  Was anyone there that night, and I cannot remember the actual day.
I have taken photographs of the old site in Red Lion Street, I am reasonably sure this was the spot.   Lovely memories of that night!  If you were there (or if you were a regular), let us have your memories to share please.

1961 Phil Rudkin on Drums Tony Richardson on piano

Site of Lord Nelson

Kate: Thanks for this Phil.  Great photo - the other two photos seem to be in a different format from the one of the old site I have published. Can't get them to
load.  I would like to put the street one of Red Lion Street on - is it possible to send it in the format of the one I have successfully loaded? Hope so anyway.

Clem Walden
June 18, 2011 @ 5:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil I remember Tony Richardsons playing piano in many pubs, I also remember you playing drums in The Lord Nelson, not sure if that was the same night you mention. But as you will remember myself and friends were out on the Town most nights in those days. Ron Ray and Mickey his wife Nee Pricket) were the landlords at one time was that befor Ross or after? Ron and Mickey Ray also took over the Millstone after Alf Pricket (Mickey's Dad) retired. I have many fond memories of Tony Richardson a great pianist he played plenty of rock and roll also plenty of jazz that you have always appreciated the place came alive when Tony got on the keyboard.

Mike Laughton
June 21, 2011 @ 8:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Phil's posting  has got me thinking about other old pubs in Stamford that are no longer with us. I can remember The Wheasheaf (St Peters Hill) The Pineapple (High St), The Greyhound (St Peter's Street), The Black Swan (Mucky Duck) and the Woolpack in Scotgate, The Old Vic in Ryhall Road, The Railway Inn (St Martins), The O Brien Arms in St Paul's Street.
Then there are the name changes! The name change of the Lincolnshire Poacher should never have been allowed.
The Rising Sun became the Lord Burghley and the Stamford Tap became the Ostler (Gawd knows what it is called now).
Of these the Stamford Tap was the most evocative and memorable. I can remember the smell of beer and the sound of the honky-tonk piano echoing along Woolie's passage as some Irishman bellowed out "Wild Colonial Boy".
It was just like a scene from "The Informer" - John Ford's famous film of the 1930s.

John Tyers
June 23, 2011 @ 7:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was the Sun and Railway in Church Street now completely obliterated except for a couple of stone gargoyles on the wall.  I had a nasty experience in there when I was a lad during the war.  The pub was kept by Mr & Mrs Rollinson and i was playing about with his son out of licenseing hours when the pub was closed.  Somehow I fell off the bar counter onto my chin and had to have it stitched up at Stamford Hospital; I Still have the scar to remind me 67 years later!

Clem Walden
June 23, 2011 @ 8:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike many will remember those old pub's you mention. But i just wonder if those singers you heard were Irish? could it perhaps have  been Peter Russon and Snakey Dartnell singing their favourite song "The Wild Colonial Boy"  I remember them singing this in almost every pub in the Town that had what you describe as "a honky-tonk  piano" the old Scotgate being one of their favourite venues.
The Ostler you mention is at present "The Black Bull" I believe.

Mike Laughton
June 25, 2011 @ 4:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I know there was a pub in Blackfriars Street called The Balloon Inn and I think there was a White Hart. Can anyone remember where that was?
Do you remember The George Tap?- the little pub opposite the entrance to the station. It had some connection to the George Hotel.
And there was another pub opposite the East Station in Water Street but I can't remember what that was called.
Historically I think there were a few pubs in High Street St Martins but only the Bull and Swan survives.

Roger Partridge
June 26, 2011 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ken Ford's book "Who Traded Where" lists The Balloon at 6 Blackfriars St.
Went in the George Tap once back in early 1970s. Ken says the pub opposite the East Station was The Great Northern Hotel and nearby at I Newtown was The Fitzwilliam Arms.

The only other pub in High St Martins which still traded in the 20th century was The Anchor by the bridge. Apparently there were a few others which closed in the 19th century, The Coach and Horses at 19, The Ram at 27 and The Waggon and Horses (later Marquis of Granby) at 48-50.

Patrick
June 29, 2011 @ 11:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the old days(!) the pubs in South Kesteven closed at 10pm. The Fitzwilliam Arms in Newtown was in the Soke of Peterborough where closing time was 10.30pm. The `crawl` then was to have a couple in the Balloon, walk down Albert Road, over the bridge for two more in the General Gordon and then, at 10pm over the road for two last ones at The Fitzwilliam. Binge drinking? Never heard of it!
The worst pub in the town was the Beehive at the end of Water Street opposite the Anchor. Very much a pub for the locals, Two of us went in there one night. As soon as we came in all the conversation stopped and the pub was quiet. Two quick halves and a quick exit. As we left the talking started again. We never went back.
We always called the White Swan in Scotgate `The Mucky Duck`. The Crown and Woolpack was over the road next to the filling station. The Albion was in St.Peter`s Street and I think now it is The Otter`s Pocket`.  I was once told that The Rising Sun (now Lord Burleigh) was the last pub in Stamford to have wooden benches and sawdust on the floor. Before my time, though.

Keith Hansell
June 29, 2011 @ 9:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The White Hart, which was located in St Georges St, was run at one point by my grandparents, Nelson and Frances Hansell.

Patrick
July 1, 2011 @ 9:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone remember two pubs that closed in the 1950s? The Queens Head on St.Mary`s Hill and The Vaults in Ironmonger Street (now an estate agent).
Our generation must have seen more pubs closed in the town than any previous one.

John Tyers
July 3, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I worked briefly in 1951 at Cuttings mushroom farm in Water Street, the workers used to repair to the White Hart on a Friday payday lunchtime to plot various kinds of industrial action which never happened; quite why I don't know as there were nearer pubs.  The Queen's Head I shan't forget in a hurry.  On the eve of our wedding, myself, the bestman and usher finished up there, the licensee being the latter's uncle, think his name was Mr Edwards?  Unwisely at closing time we bought a bottle of whisky, much of which we demolished and I was still suffering from the effects next day.  After the service we were getting into Mr Cis Tilley's beautiful Humber hirecar and on finding out how I felt, he produced from under his seat a syphon of soda water he kept in the car for just such emergencies!  A good swig of that liquid pulled my faculties together a little but I could'nt face any food at the ensueing reception.

Jill Matthews
December 28, 2011 @ 7:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My great grandfather George Brown was landlord around 1851. Mum (his youngest grandaughter (now 89!) has a wonderful photo on her wall with her father and uncle as small boys and grandfather George Brown and grandmother (nee  Jones? - originating from Halifax) in the doorway. There's also a news cutting attached which I think was a reproduction from the local mercury describing how George sponsored a skating competition when the river froze in 1851. The photo shows a group of men surrounding the pub front with my great grandparents in the doorway and a very young grandfather -  Jack/John and great uncle Fred dressed up in traditional uniforms of the day. I will try to reproduce the photo and attach it to the forum in due course.
Kate:  Thanks very much Jill that sounds so interesting.  Look forward to seeing a copy - we are now all anticipating that viewing!

Clem Walden
December 29, 2011 @ 8:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, I have only just seen your July posting re-the two pubs that closed in the 50s. I well remember the Queens Head on St Marys Hill but do not remember the Vaults in Ironmonger steet? The only public house known to me as the Vaults was in St Marys Street that is still trading today. My memory of course is not as good as it once was but I am unable to remember any public house in Ironmonger street in the 50s? perhaps you can help me? Anyway I hope you had a good Christmas and may I take this oppertunity to wish you a happy new year.

Patrick
January 4, 2012 @ 7:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
The Vaults, Ironmonger Street
Many thank for your good wishes for 2012. Mai I, in return, wish you and yours a healthy and happy New Year. I would also wish the same to all the contributors  and, particularly, to Kate who has made it such a fascinating site.
I`m not surprised that you don`t remember The Vaults. It closed 60 years ago which I expect was before your drinking days! It was there for a 100 years until 1950. It wasn`t really a `pub` but more a wine and spirit bar where beer drinkers were tolerated but not made over welcome. I believe, after the war ended in 1945, there just weren`t enough customers interested in that sort of place.
When it closed, the premises were taken over by Robinson`s TV Rentals and then by Granada. Later it became an estate agents, Dickens, Watts and Dade and I believe now it is Rosedales in the same business.
As you walk down Ironmonger Street it is the second building on the right adjacent to the charity shop. It stiil has the hanging sign outside although now it advertises the estate agent.

Clem Walden
January 5, 2012 @ 2:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick thanks for your good wishes and clarification I am given to understand that the actual pub was closed in 1936? I do remember it as a retail off licence/wine bar prior to Robinsons etc. But as you say I was not drinking in 1950 I started in 1954 [underage unfortunately] my nanny would often meet from school in the late 40s and take me to the Ingthorpe Dairy cafe at the bottom of Ironmonger Street for a coffee do you remember [Ingthorpe Dairy Cafe] hope i've got the name right. There have been many changes in Ironmonger street in the last 60 years and of course throughout the Town. Thankfully to Kate and all those that contribute to this excellent forum we are able  to recall our personal fond memories of days gone by.

Clem Walden
January 7, 2012 @ 12:12 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, have been doing a little research and understand that when the vaults [Ironmonger Street] closed in 1936 it was first taken over by a company called "Pells" [hope the spelling is correct] Pell's were a retail outlet who provided a service to those who had wirelesses etc I am told Pell's provided a service for accumulators to be charged or changed. I am also told the actual sign for the [Old vaults pub] was removed in 1941/2  and the later off licence and wine bar you and I remember went under a different name. Do you remember "Pells" and can you remember the name of the retail off licence and wine bar prior to Robinsons Rentals? as I understand it was not known as the "Vaults"? unfortunately I am unable to remember the actual name but can confirm I remember that it was a retail off licence and wine bar in 1950. Hopefully someone out there will be able to provide the correct info.

Patrick
January 9, 2012 @ 8:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
Well done on the research but I just cannot remember the new name for `The Vaults`, I certainly remember Mr.Pell. One of my Saturday morning jobs was to take the used accumulator to his shop and bring back a fully charged one. I think we paid about sixpence for the recharge. I expect Robinsons moved in to his shop to keep his customers.

John Tyers
January 10, 2012 @ 7:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I worked briefly for Robinson Rentals/Claypoles and when they acquired Mr Pell's business in Ironmonger Street his TV/radio technician, the affable Mr Reg Burton joined them; his wife ran the sweet shop next to the Library.

syd
January 10, 2012 @ 9:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have a list of 'Stamford Inns and Pubs compiled by F H Chandler 1978' and it has the Vaults 1781 - 1935 and there are two names following, White Hart and Blue Boar.  If as Patrick says it closed in 1945, maybe they were the later names.
Clem, Vince drove for Robinson Rentals if you remember.

Any one know F H Chandler ?.

Clem Walden
January 11, 2012 @ 4:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, changing your accumulators at Pell's on Saturday mornings for 6p I wonder why my dad made me walk so far to Newtons in Scotgate? Ironmonger street would have been nearer for me in those days. What about the old Ingthorpe Dairy I mentioned in Ironmonger Street. Do you remember it? Those old accumulators were heavy [well they were for me in the late 40's] I remember dropping one or two of them on the way home from Newtons. One such incident happened when I was walking up the old black path I was about 60 yards away from home and the dam handle came adrift [well that was my story] Dad was not a very happy man! brush and dustpan were supplied to me "free of charge" so I could go back and clear up the debris. No pocket money for the errand that day and No Dick Barton that night. Fond memories.

Clem Walden
January 11, 2012 @ 5:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Syd, I have the same list by F.H.Chandler 1978. As you say it lists all the pubs the earlists one being "The Tabard or Tabret 1442 to 1543. unlocated? He lists In Ironmonger street four, one being the Bell or Blue Bell or Sun & Bell 1490 to 1728. The Vaults is listed 1781 to 1936. The White Hart and the Blue Boar you mention have a question mark next to them so I think perhaps they may have been prior to the Vaults rather than after?  Regarding remembering "Vince" driving for Robinson Rentals? I don't. But do you mean Vince Kelly? or Vince Mason? And re-your question any one know  F.H.Chandler? again I don't. But perhaps some one out there can help us both.

Patrick
January 13, 2012 @ 7:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
Sorry to hear about the dropped accumulator. Hope you didn`t tread in the acid. I remember the Ingthorpe Dairy down the bottom of Ironmonger Street in the 50s and, possibly, 60s. I have a vague memory that Mrs. Nelson, the widow of the pork butcher was involved in it. As for `The Vaults`, 14 Ironmonger Street, we need a young, agile contributor to sort it out. One who can climb the stairs in the Library and look through the Dolby`s Street Directories. Any volunteers?

Clem Walden
January 15, 2012 @ 7:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick, The mention of acid concerned me! and I started thinking about those rainy days when I had holes in my shoes? and dad would  quickly repair them with a piece of cardboard cut to size. I don't think that was the acid's fault as I had pieces of cardboard in my shoes on many occasions. But I did wonder if the brush and dustpan given to me to clear up the accumulator debri suffered any damage from the acid? I think Mrs Nelson was involved with the Ingthorpe Dairy and possibly owned it. Did you or anyone else out there have pieces of cardboard in their shoes? Happy days and fond memories

Jill Eljadi
November 15, 2014 @ 9:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

This is a photograph of my great grandparents and stamford in 1861. My family lived in and around stamford for many years.
The Browns were landlords of the Lord nelson pub, (now a building society). They stand in the doorway of this building in  Red Lion street  and my grandfather John Brown is the small boy sitting on the pavement

The Browns 1861 The Lord Nelson Public House by kind permission  of
Jill Eljadi

Thank you so much for this Jill.  Hope you can see it ok. Kate