Glen Boughton's Printing Shop

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Glen Boughton's Printing Shop
Topic Originator: Lynda
Post Date June 20, 2011 @ 11:04 AM
 Glen Boughton's Printing Shop/Panther Press

Lynda
June 20, 2011 @ 11:04 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember Glen Boughton's printing shop behind the old sale room (now Mr Pangs) in Cheyne Lane?  I was sent there one day by my employer to collect some printing.(This was late 60's)  There was a door to the left as you enter the sale room, through this door was a long garden path and a 'barn' type building at the bottom of the garden.  As I entered the barn Glen shouted 'hello, come up'  Up the stairs it was a different world, he had lots of old fashioned posters all around the walls, loads of very large printing equipment, very interesting place. Glen Boughton was always a very happy man. On a visit to Mr Pangs, I did get to look out the back, but it has all gone now.
Kate: Thanks for that memory Lynda.  Think there is a brass plaque at Stamford Hospital in memory of Glen Boughton - for donating equipment in use there.  I remember him but was not lucky enough to see his workshop.

Mike Laughton
June 21, 2011 @ 2:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Psychic forces at work again. I was just thinking about Glen yesterday!
I remember Glen's printing shop well (Did he call it the Panther Press at one stage or was that someone else?).
In later years - the 1980s - he moved to new premises alongside Potters in Gas Lane.
Glen had a brother who used to build his own sports cars from scratch long before kit cars came along. (Was his name John?)
I seem to recall he died tragically in a freak industrial accident. He worked for one of the local agricultural manufacturing firms (was it Allis Chalmers?) and was killed when one of the giant tyres on a vehicle exploded while he was changing it and he died instantly. Terrible accident.
On a lighter note, Glen himself was a lovely guy but why did he wear that awful wig? I think they called them Crown Toppers.
I'm sure he would have looked better bald but nobody ever dared mention it.

Roger Partridge
June 23, 2011 @ 8:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Glen's business was called the Panther Press. I think he later merged his business with that of Peter Spiegl.

Keith Hansell
June 26, 2011 @ 12:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Roger, you are absolutely right

Peter
June 28, 2011 @ 2:17 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mike, you are correct about Glen's brother John being killed in an accident at Allis Chalmers (Fiat Allis), but did you also know that when he was running his own bodyshop he was the inventor of the "twin lid" fibreglass mini bonnet. The shop was later run by Jess Hayden.