Photo of Old Broad Street

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Photo of Old Broad Street
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date June 20, 2011 @ 5:43 PM
 Photo of Old Broad Street
  Photo of Old Broad Street/Reedman's

Mike Laughton
June 20, 2011 @ 5:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I love this old photograph showing part of Broad Street as it was about 100 years ago.
It is quite a well-known photograph that has been published many times. But it is of particular interest because it shows how that part of Broad Street looked before the Art Deco Central Cinema was built.
The Barclays Bank building looks the same today but a Blackstones showroom occupied the site where the Cinema was built. And a furniture dealer appears to be operating at the top of the lane.
I loved the Central Cinema and am so pleased much of the art deco building has been preserved.
The hours I spent standing outside that cinema when I was a kid in the 1950s hoping someone would take me in to see an "A" film.
"Will you take me in please Mister!"

Broad Street, Stamford around 1900

For larger image double click on photo.  Then click on Actions above left of photo then click on slideshow.  To keep on that image click on 2 vertical bars to left of photo.

Paul Reedman
June 23, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've got this photo. Thats my g g grandads shop next to the bank. They were antique dealers and furniture makers. Love seeing all the furniture out in the street
Kate: Hi Paul.  Yes, and you have been there and researched all those places. Remember your contributions.  Thanks again.