St. Johns Street - Frisby Radio Services

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: St. Johns Street - Frisby Radio Services
Topic Originator: MIKE
Post Date January 15, 2007 @ 4:00 PM
 RE: St. Johns Street - Frisby Radio Services

MIKE
January 15, 2007 @ 4:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My first job on leaving school was with Frisby Radio Services run by Ted Frisby.  One of the first things you learnt was how to brush the shop out and dust the stock.  Saturday afternoons came the job we all hated, wiring up the accumulators for charging over the weekend. Each one had the customers name on, I think the charge was sixpence(2.5p) per charge. A lot of battery radio still around in those days (1954). TV was in its infancy and the sets were heavy, wooden cabinets. we sold not only radios, TVs and appliances but spare valves and other components.  During Stamford Fair week the showmen would sometimes bring in their very battered amplifiers for repair.
The shop next door was Higgs Tobbacconist and the other side were the International Stores.
Kate: I really enjoyed reading that Mike.  Anyone else remember Frisby Radio Services?  Also welcomed more entries for My first job on leaving school.  

JohnDale McAllister
April 20, 2007 @ 3:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, My friend up here in Scotland, Garrick Thornton, who went to Fane School, also started his working life at age 16 for Ted Frisby in about 1969. I don't know how long he was there but once I can get him off his behind he will put something on the forum.
Kate: Thanks John.  I have been having a problem with my emails external to the forum so you probably haven't received the ones I have sent to you re sending you a copy of the Mercury.  As I have explained to Tim who made me realise there was a problem - I am contacting my hosting company early next week and hopefully the problem will be resolved then.  We can then get back to normal.
Mail to the forum is still arriving with me as its hosted by a different company.

Amanda coleman
June 11, 2013 @ 4:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi, I have an old wooden shop sign that says Frisbys Radio Services, have no idea where it came from so googles it and you came up! It is very large, painted on dark wood, was wondering if was anything to do with the shop you mentioned?
Hi Amanda, any chance of a photo? Send to kate@stamfordtown.com
Anyone know anything about Frisbys shop sign?

Richard Campbell.
June 13, 2013 @ 7:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Frisby's. In the early 60's I used to buy cat's whiskers and crystals from him to make crystal sets. He had Scott Squirrel motor bikes in the shop.