'61 Qcentenary Yr Arsenal!

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: '61 Qcentenary Yr Arsenal!
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date July 2, 2011 @ 12:44 PM
 '61 Quincentenary Yr Arsenal
 1961 Qcentenary Year/Jack Kelsey

Mike Laughton
July 2, 2011 @ 12:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can it really be 50 years since we celebrated the town's Quincentenary Year in 1961?
I know there is already another posting on the Gateway Memories website about the Queen's visit that year but lots of other special events took place in the town to celebrate the Quincentenary.
I was a teenager at the time and lots of events revolved around the town's youth organisations.
I know the Marquess of Exeter was the Mayor that year and it was also the year of the very first Burghley Horse Trials.
But as a lifelong Gooner, the highlight of Quincentenary year for me was seeing my beloved Arsenal play the Daniels at the town football ground. I remember George Eastham and Vic Groves were among the Arsenal stars who played here that night. And the Gunners did field a proper first team, not a team of reserves and youngsters. The local lads got hammered. I think the final score was about 6 - 1.
Before the match I met the Arsenal chairman Sir Bracewell Smith at the George Hotel and he asked me the way to the football ground.
After the match the Arsenal party attended a reception at the Town Hall and I gather the hospitality was first class so I hope they enjoyed their visit to Stamford.

Mike Laughton
July 5, 2011 @ 12:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Wow!
I've just found the programme for the Daniels v Arsenal game (reproduced here).
The great Jack Kelsey was in goal for the Gunners that night and Mel Charles (brother of the legendary John Charles) was also playing. Like I said the Arsenal side was a proper first team full of internationals.

Daniels v Arsenal programme

Daniels v Arsenal
Quincentenary Year
by kind permission of Mike Laughton

Stamford v Arsenal 1961 front cover

phil
July 5, 2011 @ 1:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes,I remember that game well.Would have been about 18 then.I stood behind Jack Kelseys goal for all of one half.He spent most of it leaning against the goalpost with his cheescutter on ignoring most of our remarks.

Andy Bull
June 13, 2012 @ 6:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

...I have recently been given a copy (no 999) of this programme signed  by the Arsenal squad (due to being a fan of The Arsenal).

Gillian Hendy
June 13, 2012 @ 8:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can't believe that the mighty Gunners played here at one time.
I lived in Highbury some years ago very near to the old stadium and spookily enough my daughter's first flat was on the borders of Finsbury Park a stone's throw from the new Emirates stadium.

Mark Walmsley
July 29, 2013 @ 7:37 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember this great event-the Arsenal manager was George Swindin who had quite a local connection as ex manager of The Posh,also he was a member of Burghley Park Golf Club