Dot Cotton's Stamford connection

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Dot Cotton's Stamford connection
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date August 12, 2011 @ 9:50 AM
  Dot Cotton/Robert Arnold
 RE: Dot Cotton's Stamford connection

Mike Laughton
August 12, 2011 @ 9:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

June Brown (Dot Cotton from Eastenders) is the widow of Stamford actor Bob Arnold.
Bob's family lived at Easton-on-the-Hill and his mum worked with my mother at Cascelloids in West Street during the immediate  post-war years. I know Bob's mum was still working there in the early 1960s when he was just starting to get breakthrough roles in television.
Bob went to Stamford school and worked for the Stamford Mercury before deciding to go to RADA and become an actor.
Bob and June had a long and happy marriage which produced six children. Four daughters and a son are still living.
Bob had a successful career on stage and screen but is best remembered for playing PC Swain in Dixon of Dock Green. He died in 2005.

Andy Matthews
August 15, 2011 @ 9:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My mum (Iris Walden at that time), will kill me for saying this on here, but she dated Robert Arnold when she was in her teens.  He's been to her house in Tolethorpe Square in the very late 40's and apparently my grandad thought he was great and never minded him taking mum out because he was a "nice grammer school lad".  Mum said he was a lovely guy and always acting and putting on jokey voices and obviously had a great talent before he ever went to RADA.  He always wanted to go into acting!!She said it was really surreal later on seeing him in Dixon of Dock Green playing PC Swain and she could only remember him as the boy taking her to the dance!!

mike laughton
August 20, 2011 @ 10:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Is Iris Clem's sister?
In addition to his TV work Bob played lots of roles in the theatre and made two or three films. He was also with the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) for several years and that is where he met June. After their marriage Bob and June set up home in Brighton. One of their six children died in  infancy.
After his death Bob was cremated at Brighton Crematorium.
I don't know how often he came back to Stamford once he was established as an actor.

Clem Walden
August 21, 2011 @ 12:54 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike, yes Iris is my sister and i well remember Robert Arnold and many of his Easton and Stamford friends he associated with at the time. In the late 40s eary 50s I remember Robert visting our house in Tolethorpe Square I also recall visiting the Meadows with him and a couple of his Easton friends Patric Samways and David Cox I may have his christian name wrong but think it was David? I also believe Roberts mother worked at Woolworths for a time but not sure what year that would have been. However they were great days and great memories thanks for recalling them.