Sheep being driven on the Town Bridge?

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Sheep being driven on the Town Bridge?
Topic Originator: Andrew Edwards
Post Date August 23, 2011 @ 1:39 PM
 Sheep being driven on the Town Bridge?
 Town Bridge sheep/tolls

Andrew Edwards
August 23, 2011 @ 1:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Many years ago I saw a photo of my Grandfather driving sheep across the town bridge. I think he worked at Burghley or a farm in barnack. Has anyone else seen any photos of sheep on the bridge?

Clem Walden
August 29, 2011 @ 7:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Andrew, sheep being driven over the Town Bridge would at one time been common practice. In 1849 and following a tariff toll was imposed on all traffic crossing the New Town Bridge to help defray its cost. Traffic of course meaning, horse and carts, cows,sheep,hogs, there was once a Tariff Sign fixed to the side of the Town Bridge (I have a copy and will try to post it to Kate) In brief it lists. Every laden cart
2p. Every score of beast 4p Every score of hogs 8p Every pair of millstones 6p Every score of sheep 2p. Of course these charges were long before decimalisation so you would need to convert  these sums to the present decimal currency. Have you got the photo of your grandfather? Or do you know what date it was. I believe the Tolls and charges were still in place in late 1880/90s but are not able to confirm this fact. Perhaps someone out there can.

Tolls StamfordTown Bridge 1849
by kind permission of Clem Walden