Major event in Burghley Park?

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Major event in Burghley Park?
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date September 24, 2011 @ 8:56 PM
 Major event in Burghley Park?
 Burghley Park/Geoff's bookcase
  Burghley Park/Duchess smiled

Mike Laughton
September 24, 2011 @ 8:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone else remember a major event which took place in Burghley Park about 60 years ago?
It was a major agricultural show and would have taken place during the late 1940s or early 1950s.
I believe it was either the Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire or Peterborough Show and it was only held in Burghley Park the one year. (I believe this would have been about 1950 although this could have been a little earlier or later).
I remember being taken to it and it was a major event.
Can anyone else shed any further light on this and confirm which year the event took place?

Joan Stafford
September 25, 2011 @ 12:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My husband Geoff remembers this show. It was the Lincolnshire show and he had made a bookcase at St. Michael's school and it was on show with other exhibits made by local school children. As he left school in 1950 he thinks it may have been around 1949/1950.  This sounds about right

John Tyers
September 25, 2011 @ 12:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Lincolnshire Show in 1950; opened by HRH The Duke of Gloucester.  I was standing near the park gates and as their car swept by me, the Duchess smiled.