Allis Chalmers/Stamford connections

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Allis Chalmers/Stamford connections
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date November 30, 2011 @ 7:40 PM
 RE: Allis Chalmers/Stamford connections
 Allis Chalmers/cartoons
  Allis Chalmers/'63 - 73

Kate
November 30, 2011 @ 7:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

requested by Peter

joan stafford
November 30, 2011 @ 9:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hope Clem has read this, he will tell a tale or two.

My Dad joined Allis Chalmrs from the beginning. They poached a lot of Blackstones good workers, which didn't go down too well.  The wages were a lot more of course (American firm)

I worked there from 1954 -1957.
Do you remember the Christmas Hampers? How did we all manage to get on the bus with the huge hampers.
Happy days

Clem Walden
November 30, 2011 @ 9:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As a young man I worked at Allis Chalmers and have mentioned this previously on another forum. Joan Stafford has also recalled this subject matter. My dad and sister Beryl worked there in the 50s at the time Charlie Morris the factories overall Manager. Rud Halham or [Allen] also held a managers position. I remember Percy Olliver-Joe Dunkley Sixer Trowel-June Deer-Bert Steel- Lol Brown-Mick Steel-Alister Johnson-Vera Carr-Johnny Lea-Twink Ploughman-Brian Green-Frank Walton-Etc.Etc. There were numerious Stamford people employed there. After leaving school dad got me my first job at there It was  a great place to work. I ended up working in the machine shop Joe Dunkley was my foreman. Transport from Stamford was provided by Patches buses for those that needed it. I am sure this forum will recieve a lot of fond memories from those who worked there. And look forward to reading the same.

Peter
November 30, 2011 @ 11:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for this Kate, I was just wondering if any others have memories of working at Essendine and stories they'd like to share. Such as the mysterious way that cartoons accompanied by witty verse used to appear immediately following significant "events". I feel Mr Tyers might be able to shed some light on this! There were so many characters there that this thread could run and run.

John Tyers
December 2, 2011 @ 11:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I feel flattered you remember all the cartoons and verses Peter.  The latter were usually concocted by the late and much missed Ernie Holt and there was always something to stir up which seemed funny and controversial at the time lol!  There were some great characters there who not only commuted from Stamford but Grantham, Oakham, Bourne, Spalding and all the surrounding villages. I well remember Joan's dad Charlie, a senior forman who looked a little bit forbidding until you got to know him.  I once needed a haircut and someone told me to go and sit in Charlie's office, he will cut your hair for a shilling.  Dutifully I sat one lunchtime awaiting his return and when he did so, gave me a right rollicking for wasting his time and taking the mickey evidently the tompsorial arts were not part of his job description!

Peter
December 4, 2011 @ 3:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John, I think there must be many who remember those contributions to Essendine "life" and the men who made them. For most of my time there (63 to 73) I worked for the Engineering Products Division, usually known as Industries alomgside Peter Wheeler, Harry Richardson, Fred Smith and others. As far as accommodation went we led a nomadic life starting above the tool stores, then a hut near the canteen (after it had moved) and finishing up in the temporary reception log cabin which was relocated next to the field where we had civil war soldiers for company!

I too can remember the hampers and everyone struggling on to the buses with them. If only we had resisted the temptation to to take a peek inside and left the lids on it would have been much easier.

People that stick in my mind are Tom Gilbert, Fred Barsby and Ken Randall, I await prompting on others.

Garth Taylor
February 15, 2013 @ 11:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember hitching a ride from Ryhall to Essendine on the Allis chalmers works bus whenever our car broke down  which was quite frequently. I would then run the mile or so to Essendine school, while my dad, Ernie Taylor went to work as a clerk in the office. He was already getting on a bit and had lost a leg in the Great War but he put in about 10 years at Allis's before retiring in the late 60s.
We always looked forward to those hampers especially to the cans of ye old oak ham!And we loved the children's parties held at the plant with the inevitable black and white Hopalong Cassidy films!

Mick Lynas
April 3, 2015 @ 8:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to stand outside Allis Chalmers selling the evening Newspaper to make some extra pocket money when I was still at school. I also played for the Allis cricket team which played in the field opposite. The team had a yellow and black cricket hat. Mr Curtis, Bernard Cousins, David Woodcock, Mr Dunthorne were a few names I can remember.
Does anyone remember the Mallard Engine coming off the rails in the Allis sidings while shunting when steam trains were about finished. It was there for about three days and all the locals went to see it. The driver and fireman remained with it and allowed us onto the footplate.

Mick Lynas
April 3, 2015 @ 8:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just remembered the black and yellow cricket hat went back to the MM Tractor days which Fiat Allis took over. (It's an age thing.)

Peter
April 8, 2015 @ 7:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I don't remember the Mallard incident but I do remember the fire brigade attending to pick up the pieces when some poor unfortunate had jumped out from behind the road bridge. When I started at Essendine  Model B deliveries by rail were just finishing and the station closing, the whole area being streamlined for the 125's.

Mick Lynas, your name has struck a chord in my very dusty memory attic but I can't remember why. It certainly is an age 'thing'.

Mick Lynas
April 11, 2015 @ 8:47 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Peter
I lived very close to the factory and had several relations work there. I see you remember my Uncle Fred Barsby. He was kept on after the factory closed for security purposes. He showed me round a couple of times and it was very sad to see those empty buildings.

John Tyers
April 12, 2015 @ 1:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I took a photo one works lunchtime of Mallard towards the end of it's service and before preservation in the National Railway Museum at York.  It was in a filthy, neglected condition and hauling a train of fish empties; I thought at the time what a comedown for a speed record holder!  Must admit I did not know of it's derailment at Essendine.  I do, however remember seeing a good train derailment just north of the road bridge and I think the poor driver lost his life in the accident.  I think the engine was a K2 2-6-0.

Peter
April 16, 2015 @ 6:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mick

I certainly do remember Fred Barsby and his stepson "Buzzer", so called because of the yellow and black striped cap he wore. That's why your name struck a chord. If only we could plug our memory banks into a USB port!

A few more names I've managed to recall are David 'Stump' Glover, Aubrey Woods and 'Biff' Jackson (demon wielder of the rubber mallet).

Dianne Matthews
August 10, 2015 @ 4:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My father also worked for Allis Chalmers, I remember Charles Morris and all his family, we all grew up together.  I remember the Childrens Christmas parties and the presents we used to get and I still have the special handkerchiefs we were given to commemorate the Coronation.  Happy days.