St Gilberts of Sempringham

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: St Gilberts of Sempringham
Topic Originator: Wendy
Post Date April 29, 2012 @ 1:24 PM
 RE: St Gilberts of Sempringham
 : St Gilberts of Sempringham

Wendy
April 29, 2012 @ 1:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No one has mentioned St Gilberts of Sempringham. Austin Street.
Spent many happy school days there. Hidden away.
I was there in 1967. Only for a year and a half. But have fond memories.
Mrs Pearman was my favourite teacher. I cannot remember any of the others.
We had to have fire drills. As we were tucked away. with a tiny playground. Our only escape was a fire stairs from the playgound.
It brought us into a private house on West Street.
I often wondered what the owner used to think when all us kids clambered through their house.

We used to go to the swimming baths on the meadows. Always freezing cold.
Our sports was walking up to the sports fields on Empingham Road.
A long walk for youngsters.
In the summer. We all went to I think it was Torkington Gardens. West Road.
Where all the children would do either Irish dancing. Poetry. All types of activities. As all our parents were invited. An ideal venue as the ground laid with basin effect gardens. Also hot summer days.
Does anyone else remember this school?

joan stafford
April 29, 2012 @ 4:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The school in Austin Street was All Saints, until St. Gilbert of Sempringham was built in Foundry Road.  The fire escape ladder took you into St. Peters Street. All Saints was an all girls school 9-11 year old.
It is now a very nice housing complex.

When I was there Miss Sharp was headmistress, very strict as I recall.

Roger Partridge
April 29, 2012 @ 6:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think most people probably remember it as All Saints School (girls primary). I think it was only St Gilberts for a few years before the Foundry Road campus opened.

KW
May 19, 2017 @ 10:41 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No it was  All Saints but was St Gilberts in the mid 60's to mid 70's and had 3 sites, 1 being in Foundry Road and another off King's Mill Lane. I attended the Scotgate site 1965, then at 7 went to Kings Mill,until 11; in those days the foundry Road was only a sports ground for the school. It later was built upon to create the new school

Roger Partridge
May 24, 2017 @ 9:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Scotgate site was originally and for many many years, St Johns Infants school, I was there from 1954 to 1957.

John Tyers
May 31, 2017 @ 4:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I started at St John's in 1939 just when the war started!!  First morning Mrs Ireland put me on a large rocking horse and I bawled the place down.  Put me off the nags except for the occasional bet ever since.  Used to wander up to school with Iris Cliffe, Michael Chapple, Joyce Julyans, John Hopkins and Peter Green.  Iris, Michael, John and Peter sadly now gone.  All great characters and dear Iris became our sister-in-law.

Roger Partridge
June 1, 2017 @ 8:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John, the rocking horse and Mrs Ireland were still there in 1957 when I left St Johns. To a 5 yr old that horse was huge, but by the age of nearly 8 didn't seem quite so large

John Tyers
June 3, 2017 @ 5:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Of course Roger, Miss Boosey was headmistress and Class Four, Mrs Ireland Class One, Mrs Halford Class Two and Miss Barker Class Three if I remember rightly.  Regular visits from Mr Molland Rector of St Johns.  I may be doing the latter an injustice but, to me, he seemed rather a forbidding figure!  Mrs Ireland and the rocking horse certainly lasted the course.  I think Miss Boosey, a kindly lady died at a 100.  Michael Chapple who started same time as me, wanted to do a Mercury article about her career, but she declined so he once told me.

Roger Partridge
June 10, 2017 @ 8:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, by the time I went to St Johns (1954), Mrs Lottie Bryan taught 1st year, Mrs Beaton, 2nd year, Mrs Ireland 3rd year and Miss Boosey 4th year, Miss Boosey seemed much older than she actually was. Lottie Bryan may still be alive and would probably be in her 90s now.

Caroline Bentley
July 22, 2017 @ 10:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was new girl at St.Gilberts in Austin Street in 1970. I remember my first day very clearly. I was quiet and shy. I stood in the playground with my sister who was taken inside by girls who talked to us and whose class my sister was going to be in. The bell rang and I was left standing alone! I entered the nearest door and found a cloakroom where Mrs Ward was standing. She showed me to my classroom. My teacher was Mr Rod Hardy. He was one of the best teachers I ever had. The following year, I remember going up Foundry Road to watch the foundations of the new building being laid.

Gordon Bryan
November 22, 2017 @ 9:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Roger, I’ve just come across this forum, and found it really interesting. Just to update you, my mum Lotty Bryan sadly died in 2002. I try to get back to Stamford occasionally, and earlier this year had a tour of some past local haunts.

Roger Partridge
November 27, 2017 @ 8:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Gordon, great to hear from you after all these years. Sorry to hear about your mum, my mum also died in 2002. I left Stamford over 40 years ago and should get back more often, but I'm old and lazy.