AMBULANCE CADETS FOOTBALL 1949

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: AMBULANCE CADETS FOOTBALL 1949
Topic Originator: Tom Digby
Post Date May 21, 2012 @ 12:23 PM
 RE: AMBULANCE CADETS FOOTBALL 1949

Tom Digby
May 21, 2012 @ 12:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi.. My grandad played for the Stamford Ambulance Cadets football team in the late 1940's.  They played a cup semi final in April 1949 and I'm trying my hardest to find some information on the team and/or match.  My grandad turns 80 in July and we are trying to put a memories book together for him.  If anyone has information on the team, the match, if you are a former player or friend of my grandad, Gerald King, known as Joe King please can you let me know.  Ideally the strip colours if anyone remembers them.  Other team members were Ray Cousins, Mick Marsh, Geoff Stafford, Tony Walker and the referee was Johnny Dalby. Thankyou for your time. Tom Digby
Hello Tom.  Hope some people out there remember the Team and can give you loads of info.  Any photos will be added to the posting. K

Stamford Ambulance Cadets 1949

betty
May 24, 2012 @ 8:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi.  Lambeth Walk Colts were the other team that played in the cup and David Hill scored the winning goal for Lambeth Walk.  Their team inckluded Peter and Derek Sismore,Gordon Compton,Dennis Ploughman,Geoff Dunthorn, Chuck Graham, Jim Boydon,Billy Raynham and David Hill.
These names may help on the photograph Brian Kent, Gerald Hodgkin, Mick Marsh, Johnie Dolby, Chopper Harris, Screwy Walker, David Sharpe, Scrap Corby, Cheesy Wardle, Bernard Cousins.
Hope this might help I am sure Clem you might come up with more information on this Football Game.
Hi Betty.  Thanks for studying the photo and adding those names. K

Joan Stafford
May 27, 2012 @ 7:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My husband is Geoff Stafford, and after showing him this photo of the Ambulance Cadets Football team, he could name a few more of the lads.
Gerald Hodgkinson, Pete Glitherow (Nipper) Keith Harris (chopper) David Sharp, Cheesy Wardle.

Have you noticed how all the lads in those days had nick names.  Do boys still do that or is it a thing of the past.

Tom Digby
May 29, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Joan/Geoff it would be great to get in touch with you to talk about the team/match etc.
If I could call you or vice versa that would be marvellous.
Thanks Tom
I'm trying to put something together for my grandads 80th birthday in July and the more help the better.
Feel free to call me on 07500220050 or tom@sunsave.com
Thanks
Tom Digby
Ps. I can assure the football teams of today still have the same nickname setup

The team the cadets played in the semi-final were Exton, does anyone remember this team or did you play in the team? Please get in touch.
I now have redone the photo in colour which i will post shortly.