Old clubs and organisations

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Old clubs and organisations
Topic Originator: Mike Laughton
Post Date May 23, 2012 @ 11:00 AM
 Old clubs and organisations

Mike Laughton
May 23, 2012 @ 11:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder if any other forum readers have memories of the following clubs and organisations which I remember from the Stamford of the 1950s:-
TOC H  - This was a Christian organisation started during the First World War by Rev Tubby Clayton. Its aims were to help people who needed help. The Stamford branch was located in Castle Street opposite the London Inn.
THE BRITISH LEGION CLUB - for most of my youth, the British Legion was located  in a couple of prefabricated buildings opposite the Green Hill (St Peter's Green) near the Bush Station. The site is now occupied by houses in Warren Keep. Later the British Legion moved to the old Drill Hall in St Peter's Street but was it based in Sycamore's Showroom for a time or was that my imagination?
ODDFELLOWS HALL. The Oddfellows Hall was in All Saints' Street next door to the Albion Tavern. The Oddfellows were a similar society to the Freemasons and the Buffs. I am told by older Stamfordians that during the 1920s, 30s and 40s the hall was a music hall where variety shows were staged.
THE REFORM CLUB. I am sure there was a Reform Club in Stamford but don't know what it stood for and can't remember where it was. Could it have been the building next to the river that became the Riverside Club?