Quarry Farm

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Quarry Farm
Topic Originator: David Chalk
Post Date July 24, 2012 @ 2:33 PM
 Quarry Farm
  Quarry Farm
  Quarry Farm/two oaks
 Quarry Farm/Jack Frisby
 RE: Quarry Farm
  Quarry Farm/skating

David Chalk
July 24, 2012 @ 2:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone remember Quarry Farm, which was situated in the field between Belvoir Close & Casterton Filling Station, which is now a popular dog walking location. I can recall delivering the post to this property in the mid 1980's. The buildings are now gone, although the concrete foundations can still be seen, just at the edge of the wooded area.

Clem Walden
July 29, 2012 @ 7:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi David, I am given to understand by my good friend Brady the quarry farm properties you mention were occupied by a Mr Joe Johnson;His Son and Daughter; the farm belonged to the Brickyard [Williamson Cliffe]. When looking at old maps 1885/1899 its interesting to note the Butts and Rifle Range shown directly oposite Bricks Field; The old pond within this field is also clearly shown; There is no other development shown on these maps beyond the Cemetery and Lambeth Walk is simply shown as an open field oposite the old stone pit. When looking at a later map 1908 one notices [Radcliffe Road] was then known as Cemetery Road. Directly oposite the Cemetery the whole area is shown as quarries and lime kilns. All these maps 1885/1899/1908 show several quarries. Lambeth Walk and all other housing developments within this area came much later.

BETTY
July 31, 2012 @ 2:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
I too can remember Quarry Farm as a child.  It is still very familiar in my mind 50 years later because I have not watched the changes going on around it with no longer living in Stamford.

We used to walk up there in the Summer holidays and scrump the apples.  It had a wonderful orchard of big Bramley apples.

I can vaguely remember the chap who lived there, I am sure Gerald could tell me his name.  He had a very glamorous wife or lady friend?  Something is telling me his name was Smith with thick black brylcream hair.  

Clem I think Dougie might be able to add to this one.

When I come home I usually take a walk all around this area and I remember Primrose Hill, the 2 Oaks and other land marks in these quarries.

Patrick
July 31, 2012 @ 3:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

For about fifty years in the late 1800s this was the family farm of the Frisbys which is how the ponds got their name. I believe Jack Frisby, the fish shop owner, was the last Frisby to be born there. He started life as a milkman and later converted a small barn in West Street into his first fish shop. Is anyone still around who used to go skating on Frisby,s Ponds.

Clem Walden
August 1, 2012 @ 3:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty, hope you and yours are all OK.Gerald did mention the name Smith to me and I believe he said he was Joe Johnsons Daugters partner? Us Essex road boys would often visit the old quarries and Frisbys pond. But we always made sure we picked the right time; As the Lambeth Walk gang ruled that end of the Town in those days. When one thinks back we all had such great fun so many places to visit and play. During School Holidays my Mum would make me a picnic and give me instructions to bring the brown carrier bag home. Off I would go early morning with friends up the fields; Green Lane;The Spinney;The Quarries;The Rec;The Meadows; We would spend all day roaming from place to place and return about 5pm. Great Memories.

betty
August 1, 2012 @ 8:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thank you Patrick for answering the question my brother and I was discussing only last night.  How come the brickyard pond was called Frisby's pond.  It was interesting reading and I am sure Clem will be delighted with that bit of information.

Incidently my information on Qarry Farm was correct the son-in-law was named Smith and his wife worked in Parishes.
There are a lot of people out their who went skating on the pond.  Many of the boarders from Stamford School would come and bring their skates.

I can remember as a child the carthorse had to be rescued from out of the pond.