Ancestor Gateway Forum - SCHOOLS I REMEMBER New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: St.George's School, Wharf Road
Topic Originator: Betty Haddon
Post Date April 23, 2016 @ 6:09 PM
 St.George's School, Wharf Road
 RE: St.George's School, Wharf Road

Betty Haddon
April 23, 2016 @ 6:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I attended St.George's when Mrs.Jeeves was headmistress, I enjoyed school in spite of the large classes,lack of facilities and equipment, cold classrooms in the winter and sour milk in the summer! Teachers I remember were Miss Freeman,Mrs.Bannister,Mrs.Halford and Mrs.Grainger. I also remember Mrs.Woodcock but she may have taught my sisters. When I was in the top class (Mrs.Grainger) I was given errands to run, with another girl, Mrs.Jeeves would send us out at playtime to fetch shopping from the High Street.When I went home for lunch I was expected to deliver some of the shopping to Mr. Jeeves at their home on Ryhall Road, unfortunately one Friday we completely forgot these 'duties' probably absorbed in some ongoing game in the
playground!! Mrs.Jeeves gave us quite a lecture !!!! A number of girls from the school went up to the High School when I did, we had  all  done well at St.George's and I look back fondly on my time there.
Kate:  Thanks for that Betty.  Brings back the memories for us old Georgonians.

Zoe Ballard
September 30, 2017 @ 3:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We are producing a film about the schools of Stamford. May my students have permission to use some of the information from this thread in it?

Kind regards,