Cleethorpes Schools Lincolnshire

Ancestor Gateway Forum - SCHOOLS I REMEMBER New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Cleethorpes Schools Lincolnshire
Topic Originator: Pat COOK (nee STEAD)
Post Date August 14, 2005 @ 6:38 AM
 Cleethorpes Schools Lincolnshire

Pat COOK (nee STEAD)
August 14, 2005 @ 6:38 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I attended Bursar Street Junior School in Cleethorpes from 1943 to 1947.  I was called Pat Stead in those days. Our  Head Mistress, Miss Jackson was very strict. I think her first name was Violet, but as children, we respected her absolute authority when she walked into the room!  She lectured us on hygene.

A bomb fell in Bursar Street, just opposite the school, think it took two houses and killed people.

In September 1947 I went to Thrunsco Secondary Modern School, a school built in the 1930's and was very light and airy, also bitterly cold I remember, two walls in each classroom were glass from top to bottom, I was there in the terrible winter of 1947 when the sea at Cleethorpes froze. The school was built in a huge E shape, the boys having one half and the girl's the other. An Iron railing seperated the playground. Helen Rose Hall, (HRH we called her) was the Headmistress, she took us for Handwriting. I got put in the choir, as some of my aunt's were good singers, I soon got kicked out for singing flat. That suited me fine.  I helped keep the school bees, taking the honeycombes and spinning them in a drum to extract the honey. The school also kept rabbits, we had to dissect one in Science.
I loved the English Class, and Sewing and Cookery were other favourites. Taking home a few little jam tarts at the end of the day if I didn't eat them all.  We also learnt 'Washing' in small zinc baths, have to take handkerchiefs, blouses etc; to wash and iron.
How times have changed, my grandchildren would not recognise my old schools. We were even sent up the road in pairs, to the nearest Telephone Box, to learn how to use the telephone by ringing the school office.

The highlight of one of the arithmetic lessons, was how to read a gas meter. They really prepared us how to be a housewife.

Pat in Grimsby, Lincolnshire
Ed:  Thanks for that Pat - how times have changed!  Particularly liked your trip to the telephone box - no mobiles then.