AIR RAID SHELTERS

Ancestor Gateway Forum - WARTIME MEMORIES (WW2) Share your memories of the War years. New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: AIR RAID SHELTERS
Topic Originator: Clem Walden
Post Date July 20, 2008 @ 9:27 PM
 AIR RAID SHELTERS

Clem Walden
July 20, 2008 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Who remembers those "air raid shelters" there were so many throughout the Town, we had five in our area Tolethorpe Square, the games we would play in them, the one in the centre of Tolethorpe square I remember well, my sisters & the girls who lived in the area would put on show's & pretend they were performing on stage, getting dressed up, dancing, singing songs like "you are my sunshine" & various war time songs, us boy's would plan a raid & disrupt the show, blowing the candle's out, that they would be using for lighting & telling the girls they had to leave as it was our army base, raiding each shelter in the area & taking over command, taking prisoners of war, & tying them up & leaving them in the shelter until it was time to go home, "we were not bad lad's we were just playing games? "all part of the war effort? however we alway's got what for when we got home, someone would always tell our parents what little devil's we had been, in my case it was very offten my sisters, dad would give me a good telling off & good smack, never did me any harm, fond memories of the old air raid shelters.