The British Restaurant

Ancestor Gateway Forum - WARTIME MEMORIES (WW2) Share your memories of the War years. New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The British Restaurant
Topic Originator: John Tyers
Post Date July 27, 2009 @ 7:18 PM
 The British Restaurant

John Tyers
July 27, 2009 @ 7:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Before the school dinners started being delivered by the WRVS to St Martin's School, I used to meet my mother for midday dinner at the British Restaurant in Cheyne Lane located in the old sale rooms which is now Mr Pang's Chinese Restaurant. This was a government initiative to ensure war workers had an adequate midday meal; if I remember rightly one shilling or six pence for three courses!  The lady in charge was a Mrs Lock who I can still envisage standing near the servery and casting a wary eye over all the diners while swinging a large soup ladle!  Considering this was wartime, even so it was a bargain and overall a decent meal which did't count against your ration book.  If you had a nationally run, subsidised system like this today there would be howls from some quarters that it smacked of Communism and the legitimate restaurants and pubs would complain of the dilution of their trade!  Anyone else a former customer?  If so what did you think of it?